Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I found this inspiring...

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

I found this inspiring and I wanted to share:

Raising children, all children, requires creativity, a good sense of humor and a healthy dose of empathy. For me, the most challenging aspect of parenting a child with ASD, GAD and sensory processing issues has been learning to control my emotional reactions. In order to teach my child self-control, i must practice it. In the book Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman, he points out that children are either helped or handicapped by their parents' own emotional capabilities. Some parents as he puts it, are gifted emotional teachers; others are atrocious. 

I recognize that I am both.
Sometimes I manage to approach a crisis as an opportunity for growth and change... And other times Im sure that I pass on the frustration of not knowing how to handle the situation at hand. 

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I so need this book right now!  I know my kids are "feeding" off my impatience/frustration/bad juju.  Right now I am not in control and my household mirrors that.  Thanks for sharing!

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:30 AM
I'm putting that book on my 'to read' list. Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:03 AM

Patience is my biggest downfall but I'm getting better with it!

jowen905
by Jan on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I know my emotional reactions, whether negative or positive, affect my son 100%.  For me, it's been a great learning curve over the years.  And then I had to help my husband understand - he's a real "man's man", it's hard for him to empathize with any behavior that he perceives as "weak".  He's come a long way, too, in making adjustments to his words and actions. 

I still struggle in some situations, but I guess we all do.  But when I can hold it together and respond the way I know I should, a situation that may have snowballed and gotten out of control can just diminish into nothing.

Thanks for sharing.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:58 PM

me too momma.

"don't let perfect get in the way of good" ;)

"Its not just good, it's good enough: ;)

blowing kissesMake sure to catch and praise yourself ;)

ABA isn't just for our kiddos, its for us too :)

Linda733
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Adding this book to the list..thank you 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I'm definitely guilty of passing on frustration...I promise myself to not do it again but it's easy to forget sometimes. It always makes me feel terrible after.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)