Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I'm going crazy and it's affecting my family :(

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hi everyone
I am trying to see if my son is showing any signs of asd. He is 11 mo and I'm kind of obsessed and self diagnosing him to the point where even if he gets cranky I can't help but get anxious and think that maybe he is showing signs that he is on the spectrum. Everywhere I go everyone is always looking for "something" and I cannot enjoy my son it's very upsetting. My dh and I are constantly fighting bc I'm always looking for "red flags". This has a lot to do with my profession. So please if anyone can let me know of any signs of any issues that I can look for I would appreciate it. Please no bashing I'm a new and concerned mom.
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Breathe Mom!  If he is on the spectrum the signs will show, you'll see a pattern of things over time.  Observe and share any concerns you have with your son's pediatrician.  I journal a lot to keep track of behaviors, see if patterns develop.  Enjoy being a mom and the delights your son brings to your life.  His picture is adorable!  Looks like a sweetheart.  What specifically is he doing or not doing that concerns you?

MomofLiam1
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Hi thanks so much for replying I also track milestones he has great eye contact, enjoys being around other people and is a fun baby. He babbles such as dada, baba and sometimes mama however he is not a baby that will necessarily show off he def does things when he wants too so sometimes when he doesn't babble as much for a day I'm automatically thinking regression, but then he'll laugh, clap his hands and reach out to be picked up so it's like everyday I'm waiting for his progress to slow:/ he's such a great baby always curious and smiley but when people poo poo my concerns I'm afraid I will relax and maybe not see any signs of an issue. I go through checklists on line but they never seem to put my mind to ease.
Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Autism is different for every kid but nothing is screaming out at me that would indicate red flags. What Is your profession? Do you have a family history?
Relax, breathe and enjoy being a mom. Even if he has autism it won't be the end of the world or make him less special. If it makes you feel any better, my son is 19 months and doesn't do any of those thing your son is doing. But although he has autism, he has some AMAZING strengths that we can't wait to watch develop into amazing things.
You'll be fine 😊
MomofLiam1
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Thanks so much I know I have worked with some children on the spectrum that I love dearly and not bc of a diagnosis but bc they are bright and wonderful kids! I guess overall I just don't want to be in denial if there are issues that come up so I'm hyper aware. Also bc of my career almost all of the children I know are on the spectrum so I don't have any comparisons!
mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Hi Welcome to the group! Let me guess, your son's name is Liam? Great name! I have a Liam too!! He is three. I'm Jen and I actually have 3 kids. 3, 13 and 16. The oldest has aspergers and I have seen some signs in the youngest. Especially already having one child on the spectrum, it made me worry more. And about a year ago, when he was 2 1/2, I started to OBSESS over it.  I took multiple quizes online, came on here, asked millions of quesitons. Half the time I was like, he's fine!! The next day I'd be like, he is definitely on the spectrum!! 

It didn't help when my husband was saying stuff like: he's JUST like his brother. 

I got him enrolled with early intervention at 2 1/2 and they were all congratulating me for being proactive. But when he went to get an eval thru the school, they acted like he was just fine. I do believe they have other motives though (like saving money and serving as few kids as possible) but it sure did make me feel like I might be crazy! 

I had to finally force myself to take a step back and relax. Its always at the back of my mind though. And I find this group so theraputic! I come here every day!!

I think you will find this group as awesome as I do. One hint I like to tell new people is that if you hit the "quote' button at the bottom of what people are saying, it will add their comment at the bottom of yours (just like how I'm doing it) but the really cool thing is they will actually get a notice that you quoted them so they can come back and read what you are saying to them! Pretty cool feature, huh? 

Everyone is going to process how their child is doing their own way. So never feel bad for always tracking milestones and being on top of things. That's what we moms do, right? 

Quoting MomofLiam1:

Hi thanks so much for replying I also track milestones he has great eye contact, enjoys being around other people and is a fun baby. He babbles such as dada, baba and sometimes mama however he is not a baby that will necessarily show off he def does things when he wants too so sometimes when he doesn't babble as much for a day I'm automatically thinking regression, but then he'll laugh, clap his hands and reach out to be picked up so it's like everyday I'm waiting for his progress to slow:/ he's such a great baby always curious and smiley but when people poo poo my concerns I'm afraid I will relax and maybe not see any signs of an issue. I go through checklists on line but they never seem to put my mind to ease.

MomofLiam1
by New Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Thanks for understanding and the tip for replying! Is your youngest still receiving any kind of services? Was he diagnosed? That's exactly what I feel like I'm going crazy all I do is worry and I'm tired of it.

Quoting mypbandj:

Hi Welcome to the group! Let me guess, your son's name is Liam? Great name! I have a Liam too!! He is three. I'm Jen and I actually have 3 kids. 3, 13 and 16. The oldest has aspergers and I have seen some signs in the youngest. Especially already having one child on the spectrum, it made me worry more. And about a year ago, when he was 2 1/2, I started to OBSESS over it.  I took multiple quizes online, came on here, asked millions of quesitons. Half the time I was like, he's fine!! The next day I'd be like, he is definitely on the spectrum!! 

It didn't help when my husband was saying stuff like: he's JUST like his brother. 

I got him enrolled with early intervention at 2 1/2 and they were all congratulating me for being proactive. But when he went to get an eval thru the school, they acted like he was just fine. I do believe they have other motives though (like saving money and serving as few kids as possible) but it sure did make me feel like I might be crazy! 

I had to finally force myself to take a step back and relax. Its always at the back of my mind though. And I find this group so theraputic! I come here every day!!

I think you will find this group as awesome as I do. One hint I like to tell new people is that if you hit the "quote' button at the bottom of what people are saying, it will add their comment at the bottom of yours (just like how I'm doing it) but the really cool thing is they will actually get a notice that you quoted them so they can come back and read what you are saying to them! Pretty cool feature, huh? 

Everyone is going to process how their child is doing their own way. So never feel bad for always tracking milestones and being on top of things. That's what we moms do, right? 

Quoting MomofLiam1:

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM
After the preschool blew me off, I felt defeated. My husband, although fantastic in many ways, is not the most supportive of my so called quest to 'label the children.' He once told me I was wishing that Liam had autism!
Yes, I do sometimes obsess but it is because I want intervention! He is who he is despite any label. But when delays are identified, doors are open and they receive services that help.
So no, he doesn't have a Dx. I haven't taken him for one. I actually kind of planned to put him in preschool tort the teacher raise the red flags. I figured the school district would be more likely to listen to them than me.
But I ended up putting him in a private preschool that specifically works on language. The head teacher is a speech pathologist and so is the director. And while it's great and he is making great improvement with his language, the school is so used to all types of kids that they just deal with it. Instant intervention! That's great and all but since he is thriving, I have no red flags to take back to the public school. See, I think if he was in a regular preschool there would be issues over lots of things. But this school already knows how to accommodate. So meanwhile, the public school is thinking he's just fine!
In his school now, he has four goals. One is a social goal, one to increase his sentence length, one for articulation, and one for being able to follow directions.
He's also in speech for one he a week thru the public school. That's all they'd give him.

Quoting MomofLiam1:

Thanks for understanding and the tip for replying! Is your youngest still receiving any kind of services? Was he diagnosed? That's exactly what I feel like I'm going crazy all I do is worry and I'm tired of it.

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting MomofLiam1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofLiam1
by New Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM
What were some early signs that you saw with your son? It was great that you listened to your gut and put him in a private school where he is getting the attention that will help him expand his language.

Quoting mypbandj:

After the preschool blew me off, I felt defeated. My husband, although fantastic in many ways, is not the most supportive of my so called quest to 'label the children.' He once told me I was wishing that Liam had autism!

Yes, I do sometimes obsess but it is because I want intervention! He is who he is despite any label. But when delays are identified, doors are open and they receive services that help.

So no, he doesn't have a Dx. I haven't taken him for one. I actually kind of planned to put him in preschool tort the teacher raise the red flags. I figured the school district would be more likely to listen to them than me.

But I ended up putting him in a private preschool that specifically works on language. The head teacher is a speech pathologist and so is the director. And while it's great and he is making great improvement with his language, the school is so used to all types of kids that they just deal with it. Instant intervention! That's great and all but since he is thriving, I have no red flags to take back to the public school. See, I think if he was in a regular preschool there would be issues over lots of things. But this school already knows how to accommodate. So meanwhile, the public school is thinking he's just fine!

In his school now, he has four goals. One is a social goal, one to increase his sentence length, one for articulation, and one for being able to follow directions.

He's also in speech for one he a week thru the public school. That's all they'd give him.

Quoting MomofLiam1:

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting MomofLiam1:

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Poor eye contact - this is a lot better. We worked hard on it. Still not typical IMO. He is supposed to look at you when he hands you something and he doesn't.
Not pointing. Especially when he's supposed to point and then look back to see if I'm looking. Still doesn't do this. Not using a pointer finger. If he pointed he used his whole hand. This is also better.
Not answering to his name. Still will do this.
Sensory issues - stuffing foods. Wanting to eat all food frozen.
Hand flapping.
Echolalia - repeating what he hears instead of saying his own thing. This is gone. I think this went along with the language delay.
Rigid about things.

Quoting MomofLiam1:

What were some early signs that you saw with your son? It was great that you listened to your gut and put him in a private school where he is getting the attention that will help him expand his language.

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting MomofLiam1:

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting MomofLiam1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:01 AM

First of all, there is NO BASHING in this group!  You will NEVER find that.  We are a supportive group of ladies, caring and encouraging one another in our daily lives.  Second, welcome!!!  I'm glad you are here:)  My son was diagnosed with Autism at the age of 18 months old.  I knew something wasn't right but I sure wasn't expecting an Autism diagnosis.  I would get a referral to a developmental pediatrician to get him evaluated or screened for Autism.  That would be my first step.  Then go from there.  Stay off of google and try to enjoy your son.  If he is Autistic, you will love him the same and still enjoy him.  HUGS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN