Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about IFSP and IEP.

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi I wanted to know what is IFSP.I know the full form "Individualised family service plans", but I dont know what it is about. I heard we are having an IFSP meeting. My son will turn 3 in Jan. I have an IEP meeting in Dec. I wanted to know how many days in advance were you given the IEP goals. I wanted the report atleast one week before the meeting to analyse and study.

by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I live in Virginia, and my son had an IFSP when he was in Early Intervention.  Once he entered the school system, the IFSP went away and he received an IEP.  I've never heard of a child having both of them but I could be wrong.

They may or may not give you the IEP before the actual IEP meeting.  Regardless, when you're at the IEP meeting, you can go over all the goals with the team, change, edit, add, delete, etc. to your liking.  If you don't like it or don't agree with it 100%, DO NOT sign it.  Take it home with you and think about it.  You don't have to sign it right then.

Good luck!

lillettemomma
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Yeah IFSP is for early intervention ..... at 3 he should get a transition plan and then be evaled for an IEP at the school he will be going to
mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
IEPs and IFSPs are under the law IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). Part C covers children birth the three and they get an IFSP. Part B of the law covers kids 3-21 and they get an IEP.
They are similar in that they list goals.
Before you get either, they do an evaluation. For the IEP, they have to have the evaluation meeting first (before the IEP) because it's there that the decision to write an IEP is made. They are not supposed to have one already written at that meeting but that's not how it usually goes.
Before the evaluation meeting, tell them you want a copy of the multidisciplinary report. That gives you time to read it and think of questions.
They're required to give you ten days notice before an IEP meeting. And you can ask for a copy of the draft. But again, they shouldn't be coming in with a pre-written IEP. The purpose of the meeting is to write it.

Another thing to know, IDEA is a federal law that sets standards. Individual stars can write their own laws as long as they are LESS restrictive than IDEA. (e.g. IDEA says you get ten days notice for an IEP so the state can go with that or require you get even more. But they can't make the law more restrictive by saying you get less than 10).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simran81
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Thank you. My son joined early intervention 4 months back. They told me they have to do one IFSP meeting, maybe cause he hasnt had any. If there was any book that helped you, please let me know. My local library doesnt have any books on this topic. M planning on buying books. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I live in Virginia, and my son had an IFSP when he was in Early Intervention.  Once he entered the school system, the IFSP went away and he received an IEP.  I've never heard of a child having both of them but I could be wrong.

They may or may not give you the IEP before the actual IEP meeting.  Regardless, when you're at the IEP meeting, you can go over all the goals with the team, change, edit, add, delete, etc. to your liking.  If you don't like it or don't agree with it 100%, DO NOT sign it.  Take it home with you and think about it.  You don't have to sign it right then.

Good luck!

Simran81
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Thank you for your reply. I am surprised to hear that the goals will be written during the meeting. Looks like i need to study about goals then. I have no clue right now. They have been doing lot of tests on my son. Wont i be given those results in advance? What is multi disciplinary report?

Quoting mypbandj:

IEPs and IFSPs are under the law IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). Part C covers children birth the three and they get an IFSP. Part B of the law covers kids 3-21 and they get an IEP.
Before you get either, they do an evaluation. For the IEP, they have to have the evaluation meeting first (before the IEP) because it's there that the decision to write an IEP is made. They are not supposed to have one already written at that meeting but that's not how it usually goes.
Before the evaluation meeting, tell them you want a copy of the multidisciplinary report. That gives you time to read it and think of questions.
They're required to give you ten days notice before an IEP meeting. And you can ask for a copy of the draft. But again, they shouldn't be coming in with a pre-written IEP. The purpose of the meeting is to write it.

Another thing to know, IDEA is a federal law that sets standards. Individual stars can write their own laws as long as they are LESS restrictive than IDEA. (e.g. IDEA says you get ten days notice for an IEP so the state can go with that or require you get even more. But they can't make the law more restrictive by saying you get less than 10).

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 17, 2013 at 4:47 AM

I didn't read any books...just did some online research:)  Since this is his first IEP meeting with first time goals, a lot of the goals will be general based on his developmental age and levels...you are more than able to change them to fit your son though.  Good luck!

Quoting Simran81:

Thank you. My son joined early intervention 4 months back. They told me they have to do one IFSP meeting, maybe cause he hasnt had any. If there was any book that helped you, please let me know. My local library doesnt have any books on this topic. M planning on buying books. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Good luck!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

IFSP is given to a child before the age of 3. It basically is the goals set for the child before they enter school age. The IEP I was given the goals at the meeting. I sent hubby in with goals that we had. I would recommend if you have a therapist that can go with you that would be great. 

This is important to remember. They CANNOT make you sign the IEP that day. Take it home and read over it. If you don't agree with it then don't sign it at all. But remember school services can't be provided until an IEP is in place. My husband went to the meeting and they wanted him to sign the papers. He told them NO because I did not see them. They were brought home and I read through them and pondered over it then signed it and sent it back to the school. You as a parent have every right to sign or not sign if you agree or disagree with it.

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM
The goals are supposed to be written at the meeting (as per the IDEA law) but every IEP meeting I have attended, they were already written up.

Don't stress too much. The school staff will have ideas for goals. They will be taking something he can't do and making it into a goal. For example, if he doesn't turn in homework the goal would be to turn in his work.

All the results from his testing will be put together into one report: the multi disciplinary report. Tell them you want a copy of it before the meeting.

Quoting Simran81:

Thank you for your reply. I am surprised to hear that the goals will be written during the meeting. Looks like i need to study about goals then. I have no clue right now. They have been doing lot of tests on my son. Wont i be given those results in advance? What is multi disciplinary report?

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simran81
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Thank you, i will ask them for it. They havent yet told us whether my son qualifies for special ed, which school, hours, what kind of class. Will all that be covered in the meeting? 

Quoting mypbandj:

The goals are supposed to be written at the meeting (as per the IDEA law) but every IEP meeting I have attended, they were already written up.

Don't stress too much. The school staff will have ideas for goals. They will be taking something he can't do and making it into a goal. For example, if he doesn't turn in homework the goal would be to turn in his work.

All the results from his testing will be put together into one report: the multi disciplinary report. Tell them you want a copy of it before the meeting.

Quoting Simran81:

Quoting mypbandj:

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Yeah, they are not supposed to predetermine the goals without input from the parents.  However, I actually don't  mind if they have a draft and share it with me a few days before the meeting.  This way I have time to really read it and am prepared for an efficient discussion.  As it is, these meetings always last a few hours for us and I can't imagine how long they would take if we had to come up with the goals at the meeting.  The key is that they have to be willing to make changes, otherwise, they are not taking into account the input from parents.  

I agree, you should request to have the evaluations several days before the meeting so again you have time to understand and be prepared to get your questions answered. 

Quoting mypbandj:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)