Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Before the diagnosis... ?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Amy
  • 36 Replies

How did you view autism?

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, I'm totally going to stereotype myself here, but it is an honest answer.  Not saying I am proud of it.  Before educating myself on ASD, and that started about 3 years before my sons dx, I honestly thought of it as the severely autistic, non-verbal, intellectually impaired, rocking type of autism.  The only people I had ever met with autism exhibited these behaviors (like 2 people), and that is all I knew.  No one had ever told me about autism, people here are still VERY uninformed/uneducated on the subject; physicians included!

I had even more stereotypes built up about down syndrome that all broke through after I had my daughter.  It is sad how much ignorance and misconceptions I grew up with.  No wonder we think differences are scary, weird, etc.  We just aren't taught their reality.  Obviously I have much different views now!

aakeiser
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I didnt know much about it.
jowen905
by Jan on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I'm right there with you regarding autism - I had no idea what "spectrum" really meant and how different each child on the spectrum can be. As far as Down's Syndrome, honestly I don't know much - the only child that I know with Down's Syn. is my husband's bowling friend's son.  And that little guy is the sweetest, most affectionate child I've ever met.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Ok, I'm totally going to stereotype myself here, but it is an honest answer.  Not saying I am proud of it.  Before educating myself on ASD, and that started about 3 years before my sons dx, I honestly thought of it as the severely autistic, non-verbal, intellectually impaired, rocking type of autism.  The only people I had ever met with autism exhibited these behaviors (like 2 people), and that is all I knew.  No one had ever told me about autism, people here are still VERY uninformed/uneducated on the subject; physicians included!

I had even more stereotypes built up about down syndrome that all broke through after I had my daughter.  It is sad how much ignorance and misconceptions I grew up with.  No wonder we think differences are scary, weird, etc.  We just aren't taught their reality.  Obviously I have much different views now!

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Honestly...I had no clue...

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Aww.  Well, if you are going to have one impression on downs, at least that one is a positive/good one! :) 

Quoting jowen905:

I'm right there with you regarding autism - I had no idea what "spectrum" really meant and how different each child on the spectrum can be. As far as Down's Syndrome, honestly I don't know much - the only child that I know with Down's Syn. is my husband's bowling friend's son.  And that little guy is the sweetest, most affectionate child I've ever met.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I was a preschool teacher and a little boy in my class was dx with it so I new a little but he didn't stay at our preschool. I remember a friend of mine being worried that her daughter had it. I guess I would say I was a little familiar with it but learned so much I never knew once my son was dx. 

kajira
by Emma on Nov. 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, before I realized I was autistic and it ran in my family, I kind of didn't know ANYTHING about it, if someone would ahve asked me about autism, I would have told them, I'll google information and get back to you on that question.

That would have been my answer. I didn't know much about it, and I originally kind of thought it meant a drooling, headbanging kid in a corner.... but that's the sterotype that was most common when I was a kid.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Well, I'm not going to bash you on that, because it's really how I thought about it too, until my oldest son's dad's other 2 boys were diagnosed with it (our son together is NT).  Before that, my thought of autism was like Rain Man and honestly my son's older of his two brothers on that side of his family is a lot like that character.  His younger brother though is very different, actually much lower functioning, non-verbal and will never be able to live on his own or even in a group home.  I believe he has several comorbid conditions as well.

Then my younger son's cousin was diagnosed and he's very high functioning.  My son is so much like his cousin that that's when I started to suspect that he might also be on the spectrum and that there is a huge wide range of levels of autism.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM

It sure was the stereotype when we were growing up.  :(

Quoting kajira:

Honestly, before I realized I was autistic and it ran in my family, I kind of didn't know ANYTHING about it, if someone would ahve asked me about autism, I would have told them, I'll google information and get back to you on that question.

That would have been my answer. I didn't know much about it, and I originally kind of thought it meant a drooling, headbanging kid in a corner.... but that's the sterotype that was most common when I was a kid.

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I had always known of ASD through the individuals that would come into the mental health facility where I worked. They were Aspies or PDD (high functioning), but also suffered from other mental disabilities. They were very intelligent but socially awkward, so that was what I thought Autism was. When my 8 yr. old was suspected, I researched more about it and knew that she didn't have it. I didn't realize that all of my research would still prove to be useful until I noticed the delays very early on with my younger daughter. She had global delays and I knew that they were more profound than the higher functioning patients that I worked with. It wasn't until she was diagnosed with severe (classic) Autism, that I realized that it was a spectrum disorder.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)