Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Has anybody wondered about a link between birth control and autism?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  • 19 Replies

I just started a new pack of oral birth control today and when I took it I just wondered to myself if the effects of birth control had been researched. It's something so many women use .... so pervasive just like the drastic increase in autism. I did some looking and no studies have been done as of yet, but it seems to be something that should be looked into. Many have posed the question already.

How many moms here used hormone birth control? And how many got pregnant while on birth control or a very short time after being on it?

My pregnancy was kind of a surprise because even though it was past the time my next shot was due, I had been on depo for almost 2 years and they said the majority of women can take up to a year to be fertile again after coming off it. I got pregnant 3 months after my shot had been due.

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM

i wasnt on BC for probably 8 years before i got pregnant. so i cant say this correlation relates

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I took birth control when I was younger but then when I tried to conceive with my ex husband we had fertility issues. I was put on all kinds of hormone pills so I got a double whammy of hormones. I never even considered the possibility of it being related but nowadays who knows

-BeautifulRose-
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Never thought about it. I've never used any birth control pills regularly and never before I had my son. They give me frequent migraines, so I always end up stopping them.
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I was on birth control pills for 15 years.  Went off them for approx 4-5 mos and then got pregnant.  Interesting.....I hope someone is studying this somewhere.  It's worth exploring.

lillettemomma
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM
I was on birth control for several years as a teen and young adult......I have 3 kids soon to be 4 and all of my older children fall somewhere on the spectrum....However I know it's genetic cause I have autism and we suspect my uncle and grandfather did as well
wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM
It's an interesting theory. I was on & off bc for years before I got pregnant.
TaralynnStewart
by New Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never been on birth control
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never been on any form of bc. My son is autistic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Yep, for a long time. Stopped about 2/3 years after hubby and I got married. Then we tried for 4 years to get Sam.. Lots of fertility drugs... And actually, i went off the drugs after being sick in October of 05... I was upset, because we were so hopeful about this drug, but ugh, it was bad... Then I needed to wait until my next cycle regulate to beging the next series the Dr was suggesting... So that meant in January 06... When i went back just after new years, we found out we were 2 weeks pregnant. I had weekly ultra sounds, and blood work every other day..m, w, f to make sure my HCG levels were increasing and the pregnancy was viable. It was touch and go for 11 weeks. So stressful! 

But he is here... 

So yes, lol.. Long story LONG... I took BC from about 10 years. 

jowen905
by Jan on Nov. 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I had not used birth control for years before I became pregnant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)