Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Santa Claus and autism?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM
  • 25 Replies

I'm struggling with whether we should go with the whole Santa Claus story or not with my younger two kids. It isn't related to religion at all. My older daughter is 10.5 and was just diagnosed with PDD. My son is 3.5 and was diagnosed with autism a year ago. My youngest is soon to follow with a diagnosis but she just turned 2. All of my kids are very hyper sensitive to everything. My son and my youngest are especially easily scared and very easy to have their feelings hurt or be upset. My oldest will soon realize that Santa isn't real and I know she will not be able to keep it a secret to my younger kids. 

I'm really worried that all of my kids will be devastated when they find out Santa isn't real so it's a tough choice. On one hand I really want to have fun with it and really enjoy it with them but I don't want to be selfish about it either. I know my son is going to be so upset when he realizes Santa isn't real and my oldest has already talked about him a lot to him. I'm wondering if now is the time to just break the news while we aren't that deep into the lie lol.

So, how do you handle this issue? What are your feelings on this? I'm open to different viewpoints. I am having the hardest time keeping this going with my oldest because she's way too smart and sneaky now!

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Who knows if they will ever not believe even when their friends say there isn't including oldest dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAMI_JO
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM
2 moms liked this

What is it hurting to let them believe in Santa. Mine is 15yrs and still believes. He doesn't voice his beliefs at school, because he knows that they will laugh at him. Let them let you know when it is time to stop believing.

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM
I told my son when he was 12. I didn't want him being made fun of. He cried. :(
But unexplained that Santa is the spirt of giving and told him he could help us play Santa. He seemed to like that idea.
If you don't want to do the whole santa thing, do a compromise. Teach them the idea of Santa - so they can participate (friends will bring it up) but they can all know its a game/tradition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Hmm I really like this idea.I'm going to have to think about it! My oldest is homeschooled. She used to ask me a lot about whether Santa was real because kids at school told her he wasn't. I said "well it's up to you about whether you want to believe or not" and she really just left it there. She has sometimes hinted that she doesn't believe. I think she could potentially like the idea of helping them believe in Santa but I'm not sure if she could really stick with it or not and not blurt it out :( 

Quoting mypbandj:

I told my son when he was 12. I didn't want him being made fun of. He cried. :(
But unexplained that Santa is the spirt of giving and told him he could help us play Santa. He seemed to like that idea.
If you don't want to do the whole santa thing, do a compromise. Teach them the idea of Santa - so they can participate (friends will bring it up) but they can all know its a game/tradition.

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

You're right! Maybe I just need to look at this differently. In a lot of ways developmentally and emotionally my daughter is behind about 5-6 years. So maybe with her being homeschooled she will still just continue to believe along with the younger kids.

Quoting SAMI_JO:

What is it hurting to let them believe in Santa. Mine is 15yrs and still believes. He doesn't voice his beliefs at school, because he knows that they will laugh at him. Let them let you know when it is time to stop believing.

SAMI_JO
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I still let my son write a letter to Santa, and he always gets a response. But I also really stress the true meaning of Christmas.

SAMI_JO
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM
2 moms liked this

You will know when she is mature enough to handle to whole story. Until then what is a little Christmas spirit going to hurt.

Quoting jconney80:

You're right! Maybe I just need to look at this differently. In a lot of ways developmentally and emotionally my daughter is behind about 5-6 years. So maybe with her being homeschooled she will still just continue to believe along with the younger kids.

Quoting SAMI_JO:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:25 AM

I'm not sure to be honest.   My son doesn't understand so we aren't there yet.  Hugs!

A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I believed in Santa until I was 12.  My sixth grade teacher made mention of the fact that Santa wasn't real. Followed up by "of course, no one here still believes in Santa, right?"  I echoed everyone else's emphatic noes and that was that.

Lydlou02
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM
4 moms liked this
What are you all talking about. Santa is real.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN