Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is your ASD child affected by your/SO's career?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM
  • 99 Replies

What do you and/or your spouse do for a living?  Does your child seem affected by it or not really?  

I know that my son will get more affected as he gets older and understands more because my husband is active duty military, submarine Navy.  He was gone a LOT during the first 2.5 years of Brady's life, but he's been home with us for the most part for the last 2.5 years.  All that will change next year when he goes back to a deploying command.  

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

My husbands job is a huge benefit for our family. He is the lead pastor of our church and has flexible hours (for the most part) and our church family has been such a blessing to us and to Ashton. My husband is the one who takes Ashton to his therapies the majority of the time and any of his dr/dentist/etc. appts because I also have 2 other kids and when Ashton was first dx he just did better for my husband and my husband is better at handling certain situations.  The only stress is that my husband is very busy at church Sunday mornings and I am overwhelmed sometimes with Ashton and my youngest (although no more separation anxiety from jacks so that's good) but I have friends that help out.  My husband has been in the ministry since we got married 15 years ago so I really can't compare to how other family dynamics work. 

I've been a stay at home mom since I was pregnant with Ashton 9 years ago but I help a lot at the church as well.. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

That is wonderful!  I wish we could attend your church...seriously.  We've really struggled with finding one that will be good for Brady.  I just refuse to go to church on Sunday mornings just to put him in a daycare type environment for him to scream and cry.  That's not fair to him.  So, we stopped going to church about 2 years ago:(

Quoting Charizma77:

My husbands job is a huge benefit for our family. He is the lead pastor of our church and has flexible hours (for the most part) and our church family has been such a blessing to us and to Ashton. My husband is the one who takes Ashton to his therapies the majority of the time and any of his dr/dentist/etc. appts because I also have 2 other kids and when Ashton was first dx he just did better for my husband and my husband is better at handling certain situations.  The only stress is that my husband is very busy at church Sunday mornings and I am overwhelmed sometimes with Ashton and my youngest (although no more separation anxiety from jacks so that's good) but I have friends that help out.  My husband has been in the ministry since we got married 15 years ago so I really can't compare to how other family dynamics work. 

I've been a stay at home mom since I was pregnant with Ashton 9 years ago but I help a lot at the church as well.. 

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I'm a childcare provider currently only on the weekends my kids are with me. My husband is a contracted IT guy for Corning Inc. It doesn't really affect the kids much anymore. The job he had before was really flexible and he could work from home so the loss of flexibility was a bit of transition.
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM

My dh works in a restaurant and works mostly nights, 3-12 or later. I'm a sahm. My oldest, he's 7, just started understanding that daddy isn't home at night because he's working. My dh does call before bed to talk to him though, that helps. My youngest, he's 3 1/2 doesn't understand and I'm not really sure when he will. He really doesn't seem affected, as far as I can tell. 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband is an environmental engineer for nyc electric company. He is a general manager for the department. Its his job to make sure the company follows all state and federal guidelines for all work being done and his staff of 33 see the company is following the rules. Its demanding, since NYC really likes their electricity. Lol... There have been very stressful times since his company is demanding. During sandy storm lastbyear he needed to leave our house before the hurricaine hit, and worked nonstop for 17 days. We had no power, no cable for 11 of it... So Sam and I were all alone for all that time. I have a generator, but there was a gas shortage, people were nasty.. It was tough being alone with Sam who has alot of anxiety., 2 years ago, there was an october storm that left us with no power for only 6 days.. So for Sandy, I was a generator expert. Last summer, his company had a strike, so all the union workers for 7 weeks didnt work, and management had to step in and do their jobs. UPPER CEO's only worked 8 hours, but hubby was working 15 hour days, no days off for the whole time. He DID get paid overtime for the strike.. But for sandy and other "extra" hours, he isnt compensated. He gets a nice salary, but its for full time... Which for some "workers" means 40 hours, but for hubby it means 70-80.  

When sam was about 1.5 we were in the mall, a man was walking toward us, about 6'2, brown hair, suit.. And Sam yelled.. DADDY! yeah, no... All he knew was "suit plus brown hair equals daddy.. sad. 

i was (before Sam was born) a graphic designer with a specialty in architectural renderings for a national architecture and engineering firm. I worked for 11 years before we had Sam.. And after, I worked on a few projects. Until Sam was about 2. My job was very detail oriented, and very deadline based. I was get changes to drawings for 4-6 weeks.. But the week things were due, it was a 70 hour crazy week! Well, Sam was sick one last crazy week at deadline. I was working on a project with California office (6 hr time difference) it was midnight here... sam had a high fever, screaming crying, and I had one hand on him, and one hand on my mouse drawing. I have only done two low key projects since... Lol... Sams 7... Lol... 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Glad to hear your kids do good with his job:)  

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

I'm a childcare provider currently only on the weekends my kids are with me. My husband is a contracted IT guy for Corning Inc. It doesn't really affect the kids much anymore. The job he had before was really flexible and he could work from home so the loss of flexibility was a bit of transition.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM

That must be hard though...bedtime is a struggle for a lot of kids!  How sweet that he calls before bed though!

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

My dh works in a restaurant and works mostly nights, 3-12 or later. I'm a sahm. My oldest, he's 7, just started understanding that daddy isn't home at night because he's working. My dh does call before bed to talk to him though, that helps. My youngest, he's 3 1/2 doesn't understand and I'm not really sure when he will. He really doesn't seem affected, as far as I can tell. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Wow mama!  Hugs!

Quoting SamMom912:

My husband is an environmental engineer for nyc electric company. He is a general manager for the department. Its his job to make sure the company follows all state and federal guidelines for all work being done and his staff of 33 see the company is following the rules. Its demanding, since NYC really likes their electricity. Lol... There have been very stressful times since his company is demanding. During sandy storm lastbyear he needed to leave our house before the hurricaine hit, and worked nonstop for 17 days. We had no power, no cable for 11 of it... So Sam and I were all alone for all that time. I have a generator, but there was a gas shortage, people were nasty.. It was tough being alone with Sam who has alot of anxiety., 2 years ago, there was an october storm that left us with no power for only 6 days.. So for Sandy, I was a generator expert. Last summer, his company had a strike, so all the union workers for 7 weeks didnt work, and management had to step in and do their jobs. UPPER CEO's only worked 8 hours, but hubby was working 15 hour days, no days off for the whole time. He DID get paid overtime for the strike.. But for sandy and other "extra" hours, he isnt compensated. He gets a nice salary, but its for full time... Which for some "workers" means 40 hours, but for hubby it means 70-80.  

When sam was about 1.5 we were in the mall, a man was walking toward us, about 6'2, brown hair, suit.. And Sam yelled.. DADDY! yeah, no... All he knew was "suit plus brown hair equals daddy.. sad. 

i was (before Sam was born) a graphic designer with a specialty in architectural renderings for a national architecture and engineering firm. I worked for 11 years before we had Sam.. And after, I worked on a few projects. Until Sam was about 2. My job was very detail oriented, and very deadline based. I was get changes to drawings for 4-6 weeks.. But the week things were due, it was a 70 hour crazy week! Well, Sam was sick one last crazy week at deadline. I was working on a project with California office (6 hr time difference) it was midnight here... sam had a high fever, screaming crying, and I had one hand on him, and one hand on my mouse drawing. I have only done two low key projects since... Lol... Sams 7... Lol... 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish you could too. We would love having you and Brady there :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

That is wonderful!  I wish we could attend your church...seriously.  We've really struggled with finding one that will be good for Brady.  I just refuse to go to church on Sunday mornings just to put him in a daycare type environment for him to scream and cry.  That's not fair to him.  So, we stopped going to church about 2 years ago:(

Quoting Charizma77:

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

teen boyMy husband is a welder, I'm a probation officer.  Problems this creates....my husbands bad mood when he comes home and my experiece with delinquents.  My kids are gonna hate me when they reach the teen years,  I know all about drug tests and I'll never allow them to use facebook!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)