Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do to encourage imagination?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Amy
  • 18 Replies

How do you encourage your child's imagination?

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Bump!! Haven't figured it out yet.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Reading! I will read to my son, and stretch his mind by asking questions about where the story will lead.. Or ask questions about other characters and their thoughts or backgrounds. It is comfortable place for him since there is SOME definition of the story- its not full on imagniation.. But a stretch in the right direction. 

Ive been doing this for a very long time.. 

I also do play therapy with him.. Where he just liked to set scenes up(move the toys around... Set up the town) but I would create a problem.. Where batman needs to get from the batcave to the trainstation (across the playroom) and make Sam figure out how to get batman htere... The batcopter (his idea) would crash and he would be stuck in the jungle.. (Cars wouldnt work, cause its a jungle, no roads,) so, sam would come up with a boat and a river... But then joker would sink the boat... So I would throw obstacles in his way he would need to "think" and imagine his way out of. 

Can you tell Im insane? Lol

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I really don't...but one day I will:)

mariat2
by Maria on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I just find out what he is interested. in and take it from there.
lucasmadre
by Kari on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Turn off the tv for sure, I forget how old your child is but...the first thing I did with my boy was fill the tub, tape up paper on the bath walls and give him washable watercolors and let him paint away. He painted beautiful pictures and then of course his entire body. Tape big pieces of paper together and lay him down and draw his outline and then let him color himself in. Popcicle sticks and elmers glue are great for building....take him to the craft store and let him look around and see what inspires him. Take him to a museum! Have fun!!!! Good luck.

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I send him to school.  His teacher is AMAZING, fun, believes in play techniques, and feeds his sensory needs all day!  At home we try to encourage pretend play (and demonstrate it) and social games like tickle monster, hide and seek, ghost, uses a laundry basket for a 'boat', etc.  He also acts out things he's seen in movies.

Telephus44
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

One of the first successes I had with my son was playing restaurant.  It was outside in his swing set, and we would use sand in various containers for "food" and take turns being the customer and the chef.  It took a long time before he was able to create his own scenarios, but this was the first "Make believe" game that I was able to get him to play.  I created the scene, but he would go along with it.

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Watch what they are interested in and go with their flow instead of mine. Getting down on their level, be it just pushing cars around on the floor or skipping around the room. My son could never sit still for books, he can hardly watch more then 5 minutes of a show, so his activities came from him. Going places also helped. Just talking a walk down the street and pointing out stuff and calling them something imaginitive. 

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Thanks for the great idea. Insane..I bet a lot of us are a little insane :).
Max and I aren't there yet as far as skill level but I totally love your ideas.

Quoting SamMom912:

Reading! I will read to my son, and stretch his mind by asking questions about where the story will lead.. Or ask questions about other characters and their thoughts or backgrounds. It is comfortable place for him since there is SOME definition of the story- its not full on imagniation.. But a stretch in the right direction. 

Ive been doing this for a very long time.. 

I also do play therapy with him.. Where he just liked to set scenes up(move the toys around... Set up the town) but I would create a problem.. Where batman needs to get from the batcave to the trainstation (across the playroom) and make Sam figure out how to get batman htere... The batcopter (his idea) would crash and he would be stuck in the jungle.. (Cars wouldnt work, cause its a jungle, no roads,) so, sam would come up with a boat and a river... But then joker would sink the boat... So I would throw obstacles in his way he would need to "think" and imagine his way out of. 

Can you tell Im insane? Lol

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Did it come natural to you to follow him around and be on his level or did you have to keep reminding yourself? I literally had to tape a big sign on my wall that says "floor time" as a constant reminder as I have major ADHD issues myself. Not that we don't interact ALL day but his OT teaches what you are explaining and I am still trying to make it second nature to be down there more often.

Quoting Mi_Chelly:

Watch what they are interested in and go with their flow instead of mine. Getting down on their level, be it just pushing cars around on the floor or skipping around the room. My son could never sit still for books, he can hardly watch more then 5 minutes of a show, so his activities came from him. Going places also helped. Just talking a walk down the street and pointing out stuff and calling them something imaginitive. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)