Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What do we do ???

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son has Aspergers .. he wasn't diagnosed until he was 13 while in middle school . His entire 8th grade team came to us and suggested that he be tested and that they thought he had Aspergers .  The problem is that now he is in  high school and we have had SAT meetings ...although he doesn't fall under the guidelines for an IEP we do not understand why a 504 can not be put in place ... in other words as of today we have had the door shut on us - No help, No support  ....has anyone else had these problems ?

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Who diagnosed him? Was it a developmental pediatrician? Child psychologist? Whoever gave him the diagnosis should have given recommendations for what type of help he would need.And those needs change as your child gets older. My daughter is much younger than your son and I haven't even faced the public school system yet, but my daughter's developmental pediatrician will now do follow-up appointments with my daughter as she gets older and the dr told me if there was ever anything I needed for her .... some sort of form stating medical necessity ... that I could come to the office and find out what to do, make an appointment to discuss it if needed.

You need to get someone with authority on your side that can help you explain to the school system why your son needs a 504 plan.

jowen905
by Jan on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM

My son is 12, in 6th grade.  He also doesn't qualify for an IEP, but he does have a 504.  Did you request an educational meeting and at the meeting is that when they told you that a 504 could not be put in place?   I've requested a meeting (it will be the 3rd one since he started kindergarden) and again I'm going to ask for an evaluation/IEP - a psychologist that saw my son in October told me that if they again refuse to even evaluate him, that I should get an Educational Advocate to work with us - I'm not sure what all of that entails though.  They always say the same thing - that his grades are too good so that means that he's not suffering academically.  However, they don't "get" how much time and effort he (and I) have to put into his homework and studying, each and every night............

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I'm sorry.  :(

I'm going through the process of possibly getting an IEP or 504 plan in place for my 12 year old.  

I'd request another meeting, take an advocate with you and really do everything you can to get one or the other plan into place.

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Nov. 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I have a 12 yr old daughter in 7th grade with aspergers and generalized anxiety disorder.  We decided to send her to private schools.  If she was in the public school system she would not qualify for an IEP because academically she performs too well.  In the private school system I work with the individual teachers to get the extra accomodations she sometimes needs.   Although we are not in the public school system, I feel the pain and frustration.  The help we have obtained has been private therapy and my constant untiring efforts with the school.  Keep pushing and searching for the help he needs.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Hugs mama...I would maybe consider getting an advocate to help you.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN