Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Truant :-(

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 20 Replies
Ds just got a 1st notice of truancy for missing too many days. Idk wtf to do. How can a child with autism who has a medical condition that has caused his absences qualify him as a truant. Wtf do I do? Is there anything I can do? I'm in CA.
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennymoon4
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this
This seems to be a usual occurrence in CA. I live there too & we received truancy notices last year when my daughter was in kindergarten. We're headed the same way this year. The real reason you're receiving the notice is because funding is tied to attendance. When your child isn't there in the morning, that's less money for the school. I was really distressed when we first received a notice, but nothing came of it. We now document every absence & obtain doctor's notes whenever we can. It's beyond annoying & is sad that when my daughter has a fever or something my initial fear reaction is that she's missing another school day & we'll be hassled rather than what is going on with my child's health. It feels harassing. Sorry you are going through this too. Our attorney told us it's really not something to stress about, just make sure you always send a note explaining the excused absence.
jennymoon4
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Also, I believe school is not mandatory until the age of 6, at least in my school district.
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:49 AM
That's what I thought. I want so bad to write a nasty letter to the school. They have the gall to include "let us know if he has any medical condition that is contributing to the excessive absences and we will work with you"

Uh, AUTISM? Hence the classroom for autistic kids? I'm tempted to forge doctors notes and telling them to go screw. It's just too much for us right now to be hauled into court. :-(

Quoting jennymoon4:

Also, I believe school is not mandatory until the age of 6, at least in my school district.

SAMI_JO
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Just make sure that you have dr excuses for every absence.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:38 AM

I agree here.  Hugs mama!

Quoting SAMI_JO:

Just make sure that you have dr excuses for every absence.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:39 AM

Has he been sick quite a bit this year?  Is that why he's been out so much?

Quoting MissTacoBell:

That's what I thought. I want so bad to write a nasty letter to the school. They have the gall to include "let us know if he has any medical condition that is contributing to the excessive absences and we will work with you"

Uh, AUTISM? Hence the classroom for autistic kids? I'm tempted to forge doctors notes and telling them to go screw. It's just too much for us right now to be hauled into court. :-(

Quoting jennymoon4:

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Are his absences based on fevers or just difficulty with school environment? Difficulty getting out of the house? Difficulty transitioning. Autism most likely wouldnt be a health impairment... Regarding the health safety and welfare of other children.. Like a fever, or stomach bug.. You know what im saying.. 

BUT

if your son is late or refusing to go to school and that is the issue, then he needs a different placement in school. You can contact and advocate to have a behavioral assessment to see what the difficult parts of his day are and have more modifications made to his IEP. Most advocates are free or sliding scale. 

jennymoon4
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Is this LAUSD by any chance? I was so upset when this happened to us. Not once did I keep my daughter home for a frivolous reason. She had headaches, fever, or something. Yes, her autism does contribute to the absences, so I get what you're saying. She seems to feel discomfort even more intensely when she gets sick. She finds a headache intolerable & will just scream incessantly all day if I send her to school with one. I tried that once after our truancy letter & her teacher called to tell me that she was having a really hard time. She said she would keep her, but wanted me to know. Of course, I picked her up & she went home to nap. Again, it's a bother & just one more thing, but seems to just be how the process works. Just document & most likely it's nothing but a letter. I have a couple of other friends in LAUSD who have had the same thing happen. Also, kinder kids do miss more school in general because they are being exposed to so much that first year. Even my NT boys missed a few days in kinder & almost none since. It's pretty common that starting school = more illness.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Quoting jennymoon4:

Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Our state is age 7.

Quoting jennymoon4:

TheMommyTaxi
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

here's the thing... if you are keeping him home because he is genuinely sick (cold, fever, sore throat etc), then no, he isn't truant, and it is all about the money.  BUT, if his behaviors are keeping him home, then yes, he is truant.  I agree with one of the posters above, if it's behavioral, ask for a behavioral review.  By keeping him home "because he is having a moment", you are sending him the wrong message.  You are allowing his autism to be an excuse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN