Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hi, My name is Terrine and i am a 38 yr old mother of 5 biological children and 2 step children.. My youngest child was recently diagnosed with ASD, as well as 2 other disorders.. Still trying to understand everything.. She is only 21 months and is getting ready for potty training(starting to show signs).. If anyone has any tips or strategies on how to get started, i would appreciate it.. She doesn't talk so im concerned about how i will get her to let me know when she has to go.. Thanks!!
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
charley31
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Welcome to the group! I'm sorry I don't have advice on potty training. I have a 3yr boy who refuses the potty. I know you will get great advice and support here.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Welcome to the group! My oldest is on the spectrum and didnt train until he was 5, even though he is high funcitioning he has many sensory needs so potty training was very hard for him.  I didn't train my dd until she was 2.5  and I have a 22 mo ds who isn't quite ready to train so I really don't have any advice on training this young..although we did buy my little guy a potty seat and maybe he'll be ready soon. Good luck! 

emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Have a portable potty in the area she is most in.  When you see her doing the pee dance or quatting get her on the potty.  Once she is 2 have her trying to go the bathroom every 10-15 minutes.

When her diaper is dry during the day and does not poop while sleeping she is ready for potty training and pull ups. 

My son started training at 2.5 and trained at 4.5 years.  Having your child in public preschool helps to because the teacher can work with you.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I'm still trying to potty train 2 of my 5 year olds, and the other one just got it done last spring.  As far as the non-verbal, you could teach her the potty sign by using it every time she sits on the potty or you change her diaper.  I'm not the best at explaining the sign but just google american sign language, potty sign.  Good luck. 

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Welcome to the group Terrine!  I'm sure you'll find many tips and lots of advice here. :)

Krissyc75
by Kristin on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Welcome! My son is 3 and is intersted in potty training. I went and bought him a little potty chair and put it in whatever room hes in. He gets the concept but has been going potty in his diaper then goes and sits on the potty chair:) lol We just have to do a little tweeking and reverse the activity and he will be good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)