Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What to expect, any tips?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

We have an appointment for Speech and. OT evaluation and Cognitive and. Pr-academic assessment evaluation for my son. 

a little background, he was born at 35 weeks 5 days, 7lb, failed  mchart at 18 month, by three poits, doesnt make eye contact, wondered if deaf, doesnt respond to his name. At 30 month still wondered if he was deaf, makes eye contact, responds to his name. He didnt receive any services so far. His hearing is checked and fine. He has speech delay, and sometimes hard time understanding what we say and following directions. 

He is physically fit, toilet trained, eats and sleeps well. At his first asessment there wer many poits I disagreed with the report, but didnt mentioned yet. 

should we prepare him for something specific? He goes to preschool/daycare ordinary and is doing fine, i dont want the report to prevent him from going or influence teachers attitud towards him. 

Thanks

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jodee24
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Not sure momma any other things that are off? My daughter is 22 months gets speech, OT,DI and ABA. She never sleeps (but getting better) not consistent eye contact or responds to name, only eats beige food, no words yet but started signing, self stims a lot. She was diagnosed over a month ago with autism. Good luck! Keep me posted!
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Sounds like he may just have a hard time being tested .... maybe he didn't like the people that were interacting with him? It just doesn't sound like autism to me but the spectrum is so big that maybe he's just very high functioning?  My guess would more likely just be a language disorder and with speech therapy in public preschool he might do really well.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

And to reply to your actual question .... sorry about that. He'll just have a few people around him doing little activities with him to see where he is developmentally. There's really nothing to prepare him for, they'll do stuff with him that he probably does at daycare .... like puzzles, they'll get him to use crayons and maybe a pen, put small objects into bottles. They'll make everything into a game and he should be fairly comfortable. They may also ask you to leave the room momentarily just to see his reaction to you leaving. So don't stress about it and if they say something you don't agree with, discuss it with them. They will listen to you if you say he always does something at home but he doesn't do it for them because he's just met them and it's normal for kids to act a little different around strangers.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I used to worry my son's evaluations would harm him down the road.  Thankfully for us it has done nothing but open doors for him to benefit him.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I think it would only help him.. Im guessing a teacher would rather be prepared and plesantly surprised, then blindsided. I also hope that teachers now days (nad now that I think about it, I know a lot of moms have run into resistance) have more open minds to kids with delays.. It isnt judged.. Its met with compassion more so then fear.. (In my experience) 

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Nov. 22, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Her and max sound so similar.

Quoting Jodee24:

Not sure momma any other things that are off? My daughter is 22 months gets speech, OT,DI and ABA. She never sleeps (but getting better) not consistent eye contact or responds to name, only eats beige food, no words yet but started signing, self stims a lot. She was diagnosed over a month ago with autism. Good luck! Keep me posted!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Nov. 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Welcome to the group! My son was similar as far wondering if he was deaf and not responding..had tubes twice and regular eval at ENT. but was always perfectly normal. Hmph! I know it's frustrating!

See what the therapists feel is best and go from there. These will honestly only help him in his development.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Sounds like high functioning Autism.  Once he is diagnosed he will be able to receive the services he needs.  Special education teachers do not lable or change their attitude toward children with disabilities.  They would be fired if they did.  You as the parents will be able to be part of the IEP team in what services he receives.  My son had many similer symptoms as yours.  He is 5 now and doing very well in a typical kindergarten class.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)