Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

how would you correct this?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM
  • 17 Replies
Anytime we point to a picture of a sun and ask Xavier what is it? He says it's a star. Yes the sun is technically a star so his therapist will say yeah that star has a name and it's called the sun. A friend said I need to just say no it's the sun but I don't want to confuse him later on.
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I think learning that the sun is technically a star is a hard and abstract concept. I'd teach him the sun is big and stars are little. Or we see the sun during the day and the moon and stars at night. It's just what they are called and referred to. I'd worry about technical details much later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe teach him the names of other stars too, to show stars have names, like the sun does.
HippoCat
by Hadley on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this

That's a cool idea!

Quoting Mi_Chelly:

Maybe teach him the names of other stars too, to show stars have names, like the sun does.

HippoCat
by Hadley on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I think I agree with your therapist.. Maybe you could say something like "Yea, you're right. That's a big star called the sun." 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I think you just need to tell him yes, that stars name is the sun... You are a boy, your name is xavier... Try to make analogies so he understands that things sometimes have general names/and specific.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM

How old is this child?  Keep it simple.  Just tell him there are many stars that you can see at night time but the star you see during the day is called the sun.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to use positive reinforcement wherever I can, so whenever my son is *almost* right, I usually say something like "you're right, that is very similar to a star! It's called the sun!" or if it's a a little too wrong to give him any real credit for, I might ask "oh, does that remind you of a star because it's in sky?". I just want to do whatever I can to keep him from getting discouraged. 

Krissyc75
by Kristin on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Quoting lady_katie:

I try to use positive reinforcement wherever I can, so whenever my son is *almost* right, I usually say something like "you're right, that is very similar to a star! It's called the sun!" or if it's a a little too wrong to give him any real credit for, I might ask "oh, does that remind you of a star because it's in sky?". I just want to do whatever I can to keep him from getting discouraged. 

I agree, use positive reinforcement as much as possible, maybe take him outside at night and show him the stars and say night time stars and the sun is a daytime star. 

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
He for some reason really thinks abstractly. You show him a picture of a barn he calls it an animal house.

Quoting mypbandj:

I think learning that the sun is technically a star is a hard and abstract concept. I'd teach him the sun is big and stars are little. Or we see the sun during the day and the moon and stars at night. It's just what they are called and referred to. I'd worry about technical details much later.

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Yeah he calls a barn an animal house. All doors cannot be opened until we knock on it. All dogs are named cowie. All cats are hammy.

Quoting SamMom912:

I think you just need to tell him yes, that stars name is the sun... You are a boy, your name is xavier... Try to make analogies so he understands that things sometimes have general names/and specific.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)