Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How does your child communicate?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
  • 82 Replies

Talking, signing, communication device, PECs?  What works best for your child?

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Brady uses a few signs, and we're starting PECs.  He also takes my hand and pulls me to some things as well.

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Some talking mostly pecs.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Brady talks & screams Lol he has a hard time finding his words but I can usually figure out what he's saying.
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
It started with a couple signs. But he has really done good in the last year. He does still scream a little but not as much as he used to. He now has enough words to usually get his point across.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM
3 moms liked this

Sams very verbal, but a screamer.. Its funny, i read this quote yesterday...

When you're drowning, you don't say 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me,' you just scream--- John Lennon

If only Sam didnt think eveything is drowning... Lol... Everything is met with this sence of urgency... So he is a screamer when pushed to the dge.. Which we come up to that edge when he cant find a certain lego, or if there is REALLY something wrong. Lol

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Awwww ...... your lil guy sounds so anxious. Does he have any type of anxiety disorder?  Sorry if I'm over-stepping asking, it just seems he deals with alot of anxiety-related things. Please don't take offense.

Quoting SamMom912:

When you're drowning, you don't say 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me,' you just scream--- John Lennon

If only Sam didnt think eveything is drowning... Lol... Everything is met with this sence of urgency... So he is a screamer when pushed to the dge.. Which we come up to that edge when he cant find a certain lego, or if there is REALLY something wrong. Lol

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM

My daughter has a few pecs pictures she knows but doesn't seem interested in learning any others. She's getting very good at conveying what she wants through gestures .... she'll take you to the pantry and pat on the knob for you to open it, she'll drag you around the house to get something for her, lol. It really is such an improvement though, before I just had to provide whatever I thought she needed because she just wouldn't bother to even try to communicate.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM

None taken.. We re friends.. LOL.. I know you ask out of caring. Lol

yes, he h a generalized anxiety disorder, Aspie and SPD... ABCDEF'd up. Lol

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Awwww ...... your lil guy sounds so anxious. Does he have any type of anxiety disorder?  Sorry if I'm over-stepping asking, it just seems he deals with alot of anxiety-related things. Please don't take offense.

Quoting SamMom912:

by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 6:12 PM
They talk, though my 6 year old will revert back to one word requests and grunts/growls, and my 3 year old screams. She has started echolalia again, I think it is because she is stressing about my dh leaving next week. :(.

I will be start pec cards with my 18 month old this weekend. Hopefully she will catch on.
Linda733
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Talking but he will also sign and say the word he is signing at the same time 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)