Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

If your kiddo is/was in kindergarten and mainstreamed...

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 37 Replies

How are they doing?

How did they do?

I want the great stories and the horror stories. Advice, comments, and everything in b/w needed!

Thank you,

very concerned momma 

by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is in 5th grade now.  Doing ok.  He was in regular ed. classroom until 1st grade, then intervention room for Math and Reading.  It has stayed that way through the years.  He is currently mainstreamed for homeroom, social studies, science, gym, and goes to the intervention room for spelling, reading/language arts and math.  More struggles socially than academically. 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Quoting Jenibob:

My son is in 5th grade now.  Doing ok.  He was in regular ed. classroom until 1st grade, then intervention room for Math and Reading.  It has stayed that way through the years.  He is currently mainstreamed for homeroom, social studies, science, gym, and goes to the intervention room for spelling, reading/language arts and math.  More struggles socially than academically. 

thank you for sharing

emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is in typical kindergarten now.  He is doing very well.  The teacher mentioned at his conference and IEP that they are just working on his expression and pragmatics of speech.  His behavior is very good and communicates with other students now.  Educationally he is very smart.  He continues with speech therapy 2 days a week.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Quoting emarin77:

My son is in typical kindergarten now.  He is doing very well.  The teacher mentioned at his conference and IEP that they are just working on his expression and pragmatics of speech.  Everything else he is doing very well in.  Educationally he is very smart.  He continues with speech therapy 2 days a week.

Academically, my son is okay too. But behavior-wise, we still have issues :/

emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I hope your son has a plan for his behavier on his IEP.  Maybe the teachers can give you advice what to do at home to help him in school.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting emarin77:

My son is in typical kindergarten now.  He is doing very well.  The teacher mentioned at his conference and IEP that they are just working on his expression and pragmatics of speech.  Everything else he is doing very well in.  Educationally he is very smart.  He continues with speech therapy 2 days a week.

Academically, my son is okay too. But behavior-wise, we still have issues :/

Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was mainstreamed with a TSS and did awful in our school district, regressed..peed his pants, was anxious about school, got silly. His teacher was nice but not exactly a good fit for him and the special education team was lacking big time. Right around this time 3 years ago we made the choice (with our schools direction) to move him to a different public school the next district from ours. They have an autism support class that has a wonderful teacher and aides. He started there 3 years ago and has done amazing in every way. There he is part time in the support class and part time mainstreamed with one of the paras from the support class. He does all of his testing and works on math and reading in support class on his own level. The rest of the time he is with typical peers. But in kindergarten he needed to be in the support class the majority of the day because of sensory needs and anxiety. He has made friends in both the support class and typical class. I couldn't be happier with his current school but next year the support class for both districts is back in our district :(

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Still in prek but want to tune in on what others say.  Mine will be in kinder and lots of decisions ahead.  I'm planning on inclusion (mainstream) but with an aide. 

LADYxGHOST
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My ds was mainstreamed and it would have been horrible if it wasn't fro his amazing kinder teacher and a principle who was a former Special Ed teacher.  He was in trouble everyday for "violence" and "disobedience". But it was really just personal space issues and him taking everything so literal. 2 incidents stand out. His teacher told him to stop cutting his paper into tiny peices, next day he was cutting a paper and she confronted him on his agreement to stop cutting paper into tiny pieces. he responded yes that he agreed to stop cutting paper into tiny pieces and when asked why he was still doing it he responded with a blank face and mater of fact tone that he wasn't. "These are big pieces". She looked down and saw these paper pieces where in fact quite larger then the previous incidents cutting. The other kinder teacher said he was being a smart ass, but she smiled and responded. Oh, you are right. But I will need you to not cut any paper into pieces ok? (caused other issues down the line but through trial and error we finally got him to cut paper when and how he was supposed to) The other teacher was not so nice when she told me what happended and I was so glad she was not his teacher and was only in the class becaseu it was a combined time.

The other incident was on the playground. Kids where digging in the sand box and getting large rock from way deep. Some of the kids where hurting others with the rocks so a stop was put to digging up rocks from the sand.  The playground aid repedatly told my ds to not play with the rock fromt he sand box. He would agree to not play with the rocks and the next recess he was playing with the rocks. She sent him to the principles office and she made him promise to not play with the rocks, he did. Next day in the office, recess aid demanding the suspend him (yeah a bitch). The principle took the time to sit with my ds and get his side of it. She asked him if he remembered coming ot her office the day before and promising to not play with the rocks and he said he did. She asked him why he was playing with the rock today and he responded he wasn't. And rather then tall him he was and she had witnesses she took the time to ask him what he was doing with the rocks. He responded he was "collecting" them. After she made it clear he could not collect, play with or otherwise touch the rocks he had no more issues. But if those other staff had their way, he would have been labled a disobdiant, smart mouthed child (which his 6th grade teacher labled him as)

make sure to have a clear line of communication with your child's teachers and make sure they take advantage of any distric training fro ASD students and make sure his gaining teacher does too.

mcclanto
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
My DS is in 3rd grade and has always been mainstreamed. He was diagnosed with Asperger's in 1st grade. He has had a full time aide since he was diagnosed. The aide keeps him focused and can help him calm down when he gets upset. He's doing okay. He would be doing better if they didn't change his aide at odd times. My DS does great academically, all the work he does is always 100% correct. It's just sometimes he chooses not to do assignments. He is making great progress with his behavior and doesn't have many meltdowns.
mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM
2 moms liked this
My oldest is 16 and has always been mainstreamed. He is actually in advanced classes now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)