Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

They denied her all services.... update....... argh update again

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this
So we had my daughter's "iep" meeting today..... and they denied her for all programs and services because the day they evaled her she was having a good day and new adults are a huge motivator for her.... I got all the reports yesterday and literally didn't agree with any of it.... well I brought most of her EI team with me especially the social worker/ service coordinator who has worked with her since she was 6 weeks old.... we fought with the school for over an hour about how we feel she is going to regress without services and the fact that she has only made progress because of all the services she is getting..... so as of December 23 she will be going from 9 hours a week of services to none and I am freaking out..... we are going to look into services through medicaid and some other local programs to fill in the gap but I am very concerned she is going to regress especially after our newest child is born in the spring and I won't have the time I have now to focus on doing the therapy myself

UPDATE
we found out that Massachusetts just passed a new law that states that any child who is on a dcf voucher for daycare and turns 3 is eligible to go to head start preschool immediately bypassing any wait list. .. so that is our plan now we are gonna put her in there 5 days a week for 5 hours a day and then do behavioral therapy thru mass health...... and check in with The school in a few months....

Another update
So we thought we had everything set up for odd to start head start on Thursday the 2nd...her last day at daycare was Dec 20 and she has been home with us since then..... we couldn't get a hold of anyone at head start all week but our worker kept saying everything was fine..... well I get a call today that our worker wanted to come out for a visit with her supervisor today..... of course not good news at all....There was a bus that was coming to where we live for another little boy that lived here... well his family was made to leave a week before christmas.... so now there is no bus because they changed the bus route which means my daughter can't go (we don't own a car so we couldn't drive her) and we are back to square one again.... we are going to try to get her back to her old daycare but we already transfered the voucher....and it means no services or therapies.... argh
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM

If/when she regresses call an IEP meeting and have your team ready to advocate again.  Don't lose hope, school staff will see if she cannot handle the new plan and should want to help with adding her services.  Hang in there!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Keep fighting for her mama!
Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I am so sorry! But it doesn't have to end here..you are her advocate and you can keep on fighting. Good luck!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Hugs Mama!  I'm really sorry.   

LADYxGHOST
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Can you ask if they can put her on a 504 Plan instead? Also get a copy of all the testing doen and dates. usually the testing is done over a period of time and included observations from teacher and parent.  Find out where her dd's teacher stands on the IEP and request the teacher submit a request for a 504 Plan.  Request it everyday. Request it from the teacher, the principle and call the school super every week regarding the matter. Annoy them until they relent and help your dd.

http://specialchildren.about.com/od/504s/f/504faq1.htm

lillettemomma
by Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM
She wasn't even accepted into the program at all so she can't get a 504 yet.... she's only 3 (on Dec 23) so she was being evaled for the special ed preschool.... they told me they thought her going to daycare was enough for now

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

Can you ask if they can put her on a 504 Plan instead? Also get a copy of all the testing doen and dates. usually the testing is done over a period of time and included observations from teacher and parent.  Find out where her dd's teacher stands on the IEP and request the teacher submit a request for a 504 Plan.  Request it everyday. Request it from the teacher, the principle and call the school super every week regarding the matter. Annoy them until they relent and help your dd.

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:03 AM
3 moms liked this
You have the right to disagree with their testing and request an independent evaluation, at their expense.

Look it up at wrightslaw.com

It's your right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HippoCat
by Hadley on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I am so sorry to hear this. That is terrible!

LADYxGHOST
by Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Then I suggest looking into early intervention and work with your child at home. Working with my ds during his early years made a very good difference.

Quoting lillettemomma:

She wasn't even accepted into the program at all so she can't get a 504 yet.... she's only 3 (on Dec 23) so she was being evaled for the special ed preschool.... they told me they thought her going to daycare was enough for now

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Hugs. They did the exact same thing to my dd. we were told to put her in private preschool (here in HI private preschool is insanely expensive) and if we can prove she can't handle a regular ed classroom then they'd revisit the idea of sped for her. They said basically she had to be a behavioral problem because her developmental delays weren't bad enoug and they disagreed with a pdd-nos diagnosis. we did not fight any further with the school.

We went and did more thorough psychological testing with a neuropsychologist and found out that she has classic autism and not pdd. When we brought the reports of the nueropsych testing to the DP, he told me that she is borderline MR (the neuropsych didn't say that, so we're not sure what to think). Thankfully our insurance pays for all her services.

I hope you are able to work something out for your dd.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)