Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Christmas gifts?

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM
  • 20 Replies
I am very new to this. My DS is 14 months. He has regressed in speech and eye contact. What kind of toys should I get him to help him? He has a few leapfrog and vtech toys, but he shows no interest in them. His favorite toys seem to be cat and dog toys.
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Honestly I think any sort of motor skill toy and anything related to a character they love. When D was that age, he loved his books and movies but they had to be Spongebob, Rugrats, etc....he seemed to enjoy them so much more!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

My son loves anything with music and that lights up...he also likes books:)

wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM
When my son was that age he loved the musical toys, light up toys & toys with wheels.
auntkissy
by Karissa on Nov. 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Mine loves toys with wheels. He turns all his over to just play with the wheels. The evaluator suggested getting rid of all his toys with wheels

Quoting wildchild.com:

When my son was that age he loved the musical toys, light up toys & toys with wheels.
johnns
by Johnna on Nov. 27, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I don't know, but....my DH ordered Sally one of those Stuffies - stuffed animal that has a bunch of pockets. Looked cute, my daughter likes to stash things. That is all we've come up with....so far! Lol
NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM
My daughter has some of the same interest that most of the other moms have mentioned; musical toys, lights, and bubbles.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Quoting auntkissy:

Mine loves toys with wheels. He turns all his over to just play with the wheels. The evaluator suggested getting rid of all his toys with wheels

Quoting wildchild.com:When my son was that age he loved the musical toys, light up toys & toys with wheels.

Really I never saw anything wrong with it. I thought it was harmless...
auntkissy
by Karissa on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I didn't think anything of it either. I always thought it couldn't hurt anything, but she suggested getting rid of them. He LOVES cat and dog toys. He likes to squeak the dog toys and play with the cat balls with the bells in them.
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM

The evaluator probably wants him to play with toys appropriately but sometimes I think you just have to let them have something that makes them happy ..... but as far as toys to help him interact I would suggest the Fisher Price Little People line of toys ..... they have an airport, a farm, roaster coasters and lots of others. I got my daughter a roller coaster one at the beginning of the year and she needed my help to work part of it so she had to interact with me to get what she wanted out of it. Those are the types of things that get the preverbal communication rolling.

Here's a link for the toys I'm talking about :

http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/brands/littlepeople/products/index.html#pageIndex=0

Rhapsitee
by Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Our therapist suggested something similar - Get rid of all electronics with an on/off switch or batteries because he loves just turning things on and off or opening and closing.  We were told we need to make him understand that we, as parents, are more fun than any toy he "plays" with.  At that age, though, we bought him a Fisher Price toy that has 4 different play activities (little computer, telephone, book, and piano). Has lights and music.  I forget what it was called, but it could either be elevated by standing on four legs (kind of looked like an end table) or the legs could be removed and it stayed on the floor.  He loved it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN