Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Anyone going out of town?

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Jen
  • 11 Replies
Flying? Driving?

We are getting ready to drive to St Louis. It's about a five hr trip if we don't stop. I used to make this trip several times a yr with my big kids. But not so much since I had Liam. I'm not really looking forward to this trip at all. But my grandmother is 92 and would be all alone if we didn't go. She was always difficult to handle but as she gets older, it's harder. She doesn't process things correctly anymore and therefore you end up irritating her even though you're bending over backwards to try and make her happy. It's just hard.

Dh is planning on keeping out LO out and about as much as possible. I'm afraid he might just be too much for her. So wish us luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Sounds like you're going to have your hands full. Lots of luck to you!!!

My great-grandma turned 91 this year and she's still pretty clear-headed. She's always been a fireball though and I love that about her.

We're just driving to my grandma's house ...... it's just an hour drive. Today I'm baking rolls and blackberry cobbler to take with us. My daughter's the youngest in the family but my aunt's sons are 5 and 12 and they ADORE HER. So they'll probably be following her around and playing with her, allowing me to take a break from keeping a constant watch on her. I wish those 2 boys lived nearby ...... my grandma always tells them to stop bugging my daughter but I'm like, hey! bug away! It's exactly what she needs ..... people to keep her from zoning out.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

We aren't traveling...good luck to you guys!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Good luck have a safe trip! & Happy Thanksgiving! We're just driving across town to nana & papas house.
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM
We're driving 3 hours to my inlaws for thanksgiving, then we have a wedding to go to while we're there the next day. I am soooo not looking forward to bring my son to any of this, he is always out of control at these things. I'm packing a big bag of sensory things to lug around with us, and I just bought a new visual schedule app that I am going to *try* to use along the way. It's going to be hard, and I'm already exhausted just thinking about it :(
CarrieGemenon19
by Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Not this weekend- but next weekend we are driving 5.5 hours to visit my family in Texas.

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Nov. 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM
I work in STL. There right now :)
No we don't my family comes to my house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:30 PM
I decided to stay home and relax and save my energy to go home for Christmas. Have a safe trip and Happy Thanksgiving!
Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM

We drove 2 hours to my parents house and will be coming home Friday night :)

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Hugs Mama!  Good luck!  Traveling is always hard with our kiddos! And your grandma situation does sound to add an additional challenge.

We are not traveling.  Both our families live 5 minutes away.  We'll still have our share of drama though!  Lol!

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM
We're going to my parents house it's about a few hours away. The kids love going to visit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)