Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Can ASD kids see auras?

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 30 Replies

Hey ladies :)

Happy belated Thanksgiving to all!

My Bugga turned 10 just last week and he's been growing in leaps and bounds socially. But we still have a lot of problems, for instance he has been diagnosed with depression as well and has started to make self harming statements and threats of suicide. The school situtation is an absolute mess, too.

But my question for today: yesterday, Bugga told me he doesn't like the zoo because it is yellow and yellow is too bright a color. I thought hard about the zoo and I couldn't figure out what he was talking about. There aren't any really yellow signs or anything. Bugga is usually very communicative, but if he says something and you don't understand what he's talking about he gets frustrated easily and shuts down or blows up. I couldn't get him to explain what he meant by yellow. 

My mom later told me that she read about synesthesia, where (and this is my oversimplified understanding of it, if you have this or have a child with it PLEASE explain it better) people can see auras around individuals or items. One site I checked said they can even "hear numbers" but I'm not sure how that works. 

So basically my question is have any of you out there dealt with this and if so at what age did it crop up? Bugga has been saying for a while now that he only likes dark colors, but I figured he just meant he wanted a black t-shirt not an orange one. Any advice?

by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Interesting question.  My son has never mentioned anything like that, so it may be on a case by case basis.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I looked it up.  It is just two or more senses working together to form a color.  This includes what he hears and what color he sees for example.  They can test your child too.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 30, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I'm not familiar with this....hugs and good luck!  We've missed you:)

kajira
by Emma on Nov. 30, 2013 at 6:16 PM

There's a thing with colors they can test for that's a disability.

I'd rule that out.

Otherwise, No, as an autistic adult, I do not see auras, I do sometimes see things too intensely, or too brightly, but not random things that no one else can see.

LIMom1105
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM
I've never heard of autistic children seeing auras. I do know many people can have sensory overload, maybe it was very sunny there another time and too bright or too yellow? As an epileptic adult, I have issues with too many bright colors or vivid patterns at times (black and white tile, polka dots I can't stand). I don't have seizures from them, but feel unsettled. Maybe something like this is happening?
lillettemomma
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:45 AM
I am autistic adult and I see auras from pictures it's like a psychic ability (please no bashing) I actually learned to control it a bit and have done readings for people online and in person and usually I am right....
AspieAuntie
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to imply that every ASD child would see these colors. There should've been a "some" in my title :) 

Quoting amonkeymom:

Interesting question.  My son has never mentioned anything like that, so it may be on a case by case basis.

AspieAuntie
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Yeah that sounds like what I found. My mother reminds me that this isn't the first time he's assigned some place a color, it's just been a while. I'll have to do more research.

Quoting emarin77:

I looked it up.  It is just two or more senses working together to form a color.  This includes what he hears and what color he sees for example.  They can test your child too.

AspieAuntie
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, Darby! Things got crazy for me for a while, but I missed all the awesome moms and your great advice here.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I'm not familiar with this....hugs and good luck!  We've missed you:)

AspieAuntie
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Do sunglasses ever help when things seem too bright? Bugga doesn't seem to like the sun, but he won't wear hats or sunglasses either. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to help him.

Quoting kajira:

There's a thing with colors they can test for that's a disability.

I'd rule that out.

Otherwise, No, as an autistic adult, I do not see auras, I do sometimes see things too intensely, or too brightly, but not random things that no one else can see.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)