Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism street sign

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 6:31 PM
  • 25 Replies
6 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Went to buy milk today and noticed my highway dept. put 2 signs up by my house that I requested. Does anyone else have a street sign? My daughter is a runner and it makes me nervous as she gets older
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM

i do

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I'm delighted to hear this!  Love it!  

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 30, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I love this. I have never seen one.

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:02 PM

No, my kids have a variety of disabilities including autism, so I am not sure which of the options we would post for sure.  The autism is important, but so is the downs and maybe for my kids the hearing impaired child that won't even hear a car could be the biggest factor.  I don't know yet.  And depending on how close they put them to the home, I am not sure I want to advertise we have so many sn kids at the house - easy targets.  I just haven't decided.  Once they are up, they are up so I'm thinking it through.  I do think they are a good thing.  I also hear they can be a bad thing if used for the wrong reasons (not meaning by the parents but perpetrators.)  How far from your house did they put them?  Like right in your yard or top and bottom of street? 

by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:09 PM
I live on a military base. I think they only do hearing impaired child signs, not autistic child. I wish we could get speed bumps outside my house. The speed limit is 15, but people go 30-35 all the time. It scares me. My 3 year old is a runner at times and has had a couple of close calls.
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM
I think it's odd that it says "autistic child", instead of "child with special needs". I could be nitpicking, but I think the diagnosis in the sign is a little odd and not as cost effective as a more general term.

I would have the same concerns as you, Momof4.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

No, my kids have a variety of disabilities including autism, so I am not sure which of the options we would post for sure.  The autism is important, but so is the downs and maybe for my kids the hearing impaired child that won't even hear a car could be the biggest factor.  I don't know yet.  And depending on how close they put them to the home, I am not sure I want to advertise we have so many sn kids at the house - easy targets.  I just haven't decided.  Once they are up, they are up so I'm thinking it through.  I do think they are a good thing.  I also hear they can be a bad thing if used for the wrong reasons (not meaning by the parents but perpetrators.)  How far from your house did they put them?  Like right in your yard or top and bottom of street? 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Wow... Never seen that before. 

Thats really great if it puts your mind at ease, i think it is awesome. 

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM
I've never seen one. Id have a caution special needs child sign and speed bumps put up but that's just me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinkerspell
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:46 PM

same here and if you say anything people nrmally get pissed off and say they where going the speed limit 

Quoting 03071012:

I live on a military base. I think they only do hearing impaired child signs, not autistic child. I wish we could get speed bumps outside my house. The speed limit is 15, but people go 30-35 all the time. It scares me. My 3 year old is a runner at times and has had a couple of close calls.

diaperstodating
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Quoting Nickmom1118:

I love this. I have never seen one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)