Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do your kids with ASD understand Christmas

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM
  • 58 Replies

I know Jonathan likes the lights and the colors but he doesn't understand about Christmas. Santa to him is just some strange man that he wants nothing to do with. The Christmas tree is just something that holds the ornaments he likes to look at himself in. He isn't even interested in opening presents. His sister we are teaching the true meaning of Christmas. She knows that it's Jesus birthday and that we celebrate it. Just wondering if my son would ever understand or want to be  part of it.

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robmommom
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
My grandson is 6 1/2. No he doesn't understands Xmas or any other holiday I'm trying my best like making calendars for each month and talking about it . How old is your son?
JennaPBug
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM

nope,but he's almost 3 so probably still a bit young to get it anyway. Birthdays on the other hand I think he's almost grasped, at least the singing part lol

Jenn8604
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM
My ds, 5, just got interested in opening presents last year. He doesn't understand it, in a way I can know he does, but I tell him it's Jesus' birthday anyways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wildchild.com
by Janine on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM
My son is 8 & he just started to understand last year. This year I asked him whose b-day is on x-mas & he said Jesus! Then I asked him whose coming with toys & he said santa :-)
Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Ashton understands Santa...  He is a pastors kid and knows all about Jesus and the Bible and even knows the nativity but for some reason he gets caught up in Santa more than my daughter does. We are even a low key Santa family but his friends at school make a big deal aobut it and he loves the movie Elf and other Christmas movies so we just let him enjoy it.  He told "Santa" everything he wanted at the mall...poor Santa couldn't get a word in edge wise...lol...

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

My daughter's still too young to probably understand anyway, she 2 1/2, but she still isn't even interested in opening presents. This week I'm going to try to get her to help me decorate the tree and this year we're having it where there aren't alot of other little kids around when she's opening presents because last year she didn't even get the chance to try, other kids just opened them for her.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM
My 4 yr old is starting to understand that Santa is brining him toys on Christmas. I think I'm going to try to explain that it is Jesus bday. But I don't know if he will get that part yet.
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My son doesn't really get holidays in general. He is 6. This is the first year he actually enjoyed Halloween and actually wore a costume. He loves the Christmas tree and all the lights. He is starting to learn what those boxes wrapped in paper are. Since he is non-verbal, I really can't understand what he does and does not know.

HippoCat
by Hadley on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM

My son just turned 4. I think he is understanding holidays this year. We have a 2 foot Santa that we store in the garage. He always takes it out and says Santa. I think it's helped him understand.

by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM
My 3 year old is terrified of Santa and most things related to Christmas. This time of year is really hard for us. This is the first year where we can walk into the seasonal section and not have an immediate melt down. But we have to avoid any and all Santa's. Pictures, statues, guys in costumes, all of it. She is ok with cartoons and cartoon-like books of Santa.

But, in our house we don't talk about Santa. All my kids know Santa isn't real. And they know we celebrate Christmas to celebrate Jesus. My 3 year old repeats that it is Jesus' birthday but I don't know how much she truly understands. Presents overwhelm her. She likes the idea of presents, but wants to open every one's presents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN