Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How did your kids do for the holiday?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM
  • 43 Replies

Did they enjoy themselves?  Were they overwhelmed with all the festivities, food, events, people, etc?

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Brady did very well.  We didn't have very many people over...just my husband's best friend from work and his 3 kids (all teenagers).  Brady enjoyed just playing and hanging out with us.  I'm definitely ready for him to go back to school/therapy though...need some "me" time!  LOL!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Meh....

it was hard on my little guy. His beloved cousin turned 14 and is no longer interested in playing with him. He spent the whole time on his iphone and his computer... Poor Sam (and I didnt know this until later) couldnt even play wii or xbox as both had been unhooked from the tv in the playroom. He read for a bit, played with what few toys they have left, played outside flashlight tag with me and hubby (neither of us was dressed for outside play in the NE. Lol

he woldnt sit at the table or eat turkey... But we didnt set that expectation, and thats ok. 19 people in one room is too much for him... Especially if one of them is my BIL.. He is louder then 4 regualr people. UGH! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I'm sorry mama...hugs!

Quoting SamMom912:

Meh....

it was hard on my little guy. His beloved cousin turned 14 and is no longer interested in playing with him. He spent the whole time on his iphone and his computer... Poor Sam (and I didnt know this until later) couldnt even play wii or xbox as both had been unhooked from the tv in the playroom. He read for a bit, played with what few toys they have left, played outside flashlight tag with me and hubby (neither of us was dressed for outside play in the NE. Lol

he woldnt sit at the table or eat turkey... But we didnt set that expectation, and thats ok. 19 people in one room is too much for him... Especially if one of them is my BIL.. He is louder then 4 regualr people. UGH! 

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Not so good, to be honest. We went out of town to my inlaws and he didn't eat for the first 24 hours because he was so overwhelmed. He was up until midnight both nights because he couldn't stop darting around the house touching all of the objects that's he's not used to seeing. He kept trying to leave the house and trying to play with things that are not kid friendly and then having melt downs because I had to redirect him so he didn't break their stuff or get hurt. It was exhausting, and I told my husband that if his parents want to see us from now on, they have to come to our house because I am NOT doing that again any time soon. I'm not bringing my kid to a place that is so stressful to him that he can't even eat anymore. 

HippoCat
by Hadley on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Oh boy, this sounds way too familiar! How old is your little boy? My son has always been like this until recently. He just turned 4 and he is much less frantic. I feel your pain in this post. It's utterly exhausting!

Quoting lady_katie:

Not so good, to be honest. We went out of town to my inlaws and he didn't eat for the first 24 hours because he was so overwhelmed. He was up until midnight both nights because he couldn't stop darting around the house touching all of the objects that's he's not used to seeing. He kept trying to leave the house and trying to play with things that are not kid friendly and then having melt downs because I had to redirect him so he didn't break their stuff or get hurt. It was exhausting, and I told my husband that if his parents want to see us from now on, they have to come to our house because I am NOT doing that again any time soon. I'm not bringing my kid to a place that is so stressful to him that he can't even eat anymore. 

HippoCat
by Hadley on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Xander did really well. Thanksgiving day was great. Day 2 of family was getting to be a little too much or both of us and day 3 he did great again. He is starting to stay in the same room as everybody the whole time instead of being on his own the whole time. He actually wanted to interact with people. I am really proud of him.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Wow...that breaks my heart!  I'm so sorry to hear that.  How was your husband about all of this?  Did he understand?

Quoting lady_katie:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

That is wonderful!

Quoting HippoCat:

Xander did really well. Thanksgiving day was great. Day 2 of family was getting to be a little too much or both of us and day 3 he did great again. He is starting to stay in the same room as everybody the whole time instead of being on his own the whole time. He actually wanted to interact with people. I am really proud of him.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, he turned 2 in July. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone! 

Quoting HippoCat:

Oh boy, this sounds way too familiar! How old is your little boy? My son has always been like this until recently. He just turned 4 and he is much less frantic. I feel your pain in this post. It's utterly exhausting!

Quoting lady_katie:

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Thanks. My husband couldn't disagree with me, but I get the impression that he would rather make us go through that nightmare again anyway for the sake of his parents, even though he won't actually say that. It's been kind of an ongoing issue between us, where he sort of passive agressively puts his family of origin first and doesn't stand up for us when we're being hurt by either their actions or just the stress of the situations we end up in, like this past weekend. He just lets it go on, and I sit there feeling kind of crazy. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Wow...that breaks my heart!  I'm so sorry to hear that.  How was your husband about all of this?  Did he understand?

Quoting lady_katie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN