Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My elf on the shelf fail

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Jen
  • 15 Replies
So I was asking for ideas and so many ppl said Pinterest so I looked it up. Tons of ideas. I will confess that it seems like a lot of work and so I was leaning towards all the easier ideas. And maybe only doing them every other day and then once in awhile, throwing in a little gift.

Well, we started with those chocolate advent calendars. Sat the elf on top of them in front of the fire place. Liam my 3 yr old, and my big kids didn't even notice. So after waiting all day, I showed them. Liam could care less. He was obsessing over having the lights off because he found a flashlight and wanted it to be dark. I finally got him over to see his advent calendar and he got mad at me for opening #1. He wanted #10. Cause that's his favorite number apparently. (He also was mad my grandmother lives on the 14th floor and not the 10th btw LOL).

So, I think our elf, who is nameless, will just sit on the mantle as a Christmas decoration. LOL

Maybe we can try again next year. I just think it's too much work and he doesn't get the concept anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I know that feeling .... getting so excited over something specific, anticipating how much your child is going to love something and it ends up a total flub. At least it sounds like you're okay with the less than enthusiastic response. I'm not going to lie, it probably would have hurt my feelings a little bit ..... but that's why I don't pull out crafts everyday anymore ..... I can't handle the constant feeling of failure.

Here's hoping for next year! good

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 2, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Oh no!  Poor Liam could care in the least...sorry mama!  

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Oh no. We picked our girl elf yesterday brought her home. Younger two ran off to play so I sat her on a shelf next to the fridge. Lily the four year old didn't seem interested. I let my oldest daughter move it last night. Lily went to the shelf next to the fridge and asked where elfina is. I said she hid somewhere. Xavier just wanted to play with elfina.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I want to do this. I have the elf but not the book. It's so expensive. Wish I could just download the book or print it. I wanted to do the one where he is hanging from the ceiling fan with toilet paper. I may go ahead and bring him out.

mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I don't think you need the book. Just write a note and stick it next to the elf. I saw a friend on fb did that. Her first note said something about wanting the kids to pick out some toys they had that they could give to the elf to take back to Santa for other kids.

Quoting JTMOM422:

I want to do this. I have the elf but not the book. It's so expensive. Wish I could just download the book or print it. I wanted to do the one where he is hanging from the ceiling fan with toilet paper. I may go ahead and bring him out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Oh no!  I'm sure Ashton wouldn't care either although he loves elves but he wouldn't get the concept of him hiding or watching him...My dd would love it but I just don't really like the concept of it...I know I'm such a party pooper lol... Also I have an almost 2 year old that would probably just hide him and ruin the fun for my 7 yo..once again over thinking things lol

heathers5500
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Our Elf came yesterday...Santa left him on the front porch with a note.  then we sat down and read the book together, and put Cookie up on a high shelf and when DS woke up this morning he found him hanging from the banisterfrom  a string of bead garland and his stuffed ghost was holding the other end helping Cookie climb...he loved it.

jowen905
by Jan on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Well, you never know, do you?  One Christmas, I had really worked hard to get my son presents that I felt were absolutely perfect, that he would be so excited about.  At the last minute I bought him a small digital clock for his room and that turned out to be his favorite present, forget the rest of them!!  Oh well, our hearts are in the right place and you know we'll just keep trying! lol

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Hugs, Mama!!  Good try though.  I did not even bother, not the creative type and my goodness that just sounds like a lot of extra work!!!  My SIL does it and loves it, my kids can just live through their cousins.   

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM

You are right, don't throw the elf out, next year he may "get it" and be totally into the elf on the shelf concept!  Flashlights were a big deal here this week too, he found a light saber craft and was mad when it didn't work.  I am so not crafty, darnit~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN