Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What is the likelihood you'll have another child with special needs?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM
  • 113 Replies

If you were to have more children, do you think they would be special needs?

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
puertoricangeek
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no idea. My DD is 5 1/2 months so there is no telling if there are any there or not yet. At least I know what to look for.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Not something I can answer.

i was pregnant when Sam was 5. I was scared and excited I was so scared that another child would need JUST as much (ugh, or maybe more!) then Sam that i was sad and relieved when I miscarried. Our OB gave us a scary scary lecture (i had just turned 40) about our chances of having a healthy child were going down each day... Hubby and I decided at that point that he would have a vasectomy and Sam would be our only biological child. 

I wonder all the time about that baby and if she or he would be SN or ? 

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Dec. 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm not sure, but I am willing to take the chance.

Good news is intervention could be practiced practically from birth with all your new tricks you've probably learned 😊

My next pregnancy it will be hard to "let go and let god" and not worry and wonder. But i would love another child.
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that it's likely since my hubby and I are both on the spectrum and our son, not surprisingly, is too. We started some genetic testing, and so far the results have been normal, but regardless of not being finished with that, we decided to start trying for #2!! (Dont worry, You guys will be the first to know if/when there's a bun in the oven hehe). I'm already thinking ahead to all of the things I can do to make life more manageable than it was when my son was a baby and I had no idea why I was having such a hard time with him.
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Dec. 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly don't know. I flip flop between whether it was genetics or environmental causes or a combination that caused my daughter's autism. We haven't gone genetic testing yet because insurance won't pay for it but I'm thinking about paying for it ourselves next year. Either way, we just decided for our family we wouldn't try to have another child. I've always felt in my heart I wanted to adopt an older child and I feel like maybe this is my way of not swaying from that desire. When my daughter gets old enough and I see how she's progressed and I feel comfortable adding another family member, I'll adopt a child only a couple of years younger than her and she'll have the sibling I couldn't see myself being ready for right now.

newmom20716
by New Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM
2 moms liked this

our son has autism (not sure where on the spectrum he falls still testing) and we have twin girls one with cerebral palsy which was caused by a stroke at birth,i pretty sure that my husband is on the spectrum and i know that my younger brother is but never tested i also have 2 cousins that have both been diagnosed with ASD. all that being said we are pregnant with number 4 we have thought about what if this child has a sn but we decided that either way we are happy with our children and wouldn't change them for the world because if we did we wouldn't have our kids anymore

Clemency3
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

My second is not..and my 3rd is only 6 wks so we will see there. 

Clemency3
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I am interested in adopting as well. We have three children a boy and 2 girls and I really want another boy but at the same time always wanted to offer a home to a child that needed it and so am hoping a few years down the line we can adopt. 

Are you nervous about having another one because of your daughter having Autism that another one will have it or something else too?

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

I honestly don't know. I flip flop between whether it was genetics or environmental causes or a combination that caused my daughter's autism. We haven't gone genetic testing yet because insurance won't pay for it but I'm thinking about paying for it ourselves next year. Either way, we just decided for our family we wouldn't try to have another child. I've always felt in my heart I wanted to adopt an older child and I feel like maybe this is my way of not swaying from that desire. When my daughter gets old enough and I see how she's progressed and I feel comfortable adding another family member, I'll adopt a child only a couple of years younger than her and she'll have the sibling I couldn't see myself being ready for right now.

.Bad.Wolf.
by Megan on Dec. 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1st: No special needs.

2nd: PDD-NOS

3rd: Low-functioning autism

4th: No special needs.

Kinda a toss up really.
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Dec. 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I've just read so much about the belief that girls have a higher resistance to getting autism, so if you have a girl with autism it just feels more likely that your other children would have autism as well. And it makes me worry that if I had a boy, he'd be more severely impaired because of how severe my daughter is. I'm not necessarily afraid of having another one with autism ..... I'm afraid of having one that's very low functioning and would have to live in a group home someday. My daughter is moderate to severe but I feel with lots of help, she'll be able to live her own life one day. I don't want to have a child that doesn't have that chance. I just feel it's kind of selfish, for me personally, to risk having a child that will need a ton of help to survive in life, when there are so many able children already in the world that just need a home.

Quoting Clemency3:

I am interested in adopting as well. We have three children a boy and 2 girls and I really want another boy but at the same time always wanted to offer a home to a child that needed it and so am hoping a few years down the line we can adopt. 

Are you nervous about having another one because of your daughter having Autism that another one will have it or something else too?

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)