Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADOS Testing?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM
  • 18 Replies

What kind of information comes from an ADOS test?

My son is scheduled for the test Monday. I don't really have any concerns for Autism but it was a concern when he was much younger. He has since outgrown many of the behaviors that had us concerned in the first place..  I'm wondering what all we may learn from the ADOS test and if it is an appointment we should keep?

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Dec. 11, 2013 at 1:46 AM

That's the test that confirmed my daughter's dev pedi's concerns of autism. She was on the fence about whether she had it or not, then a child psychologist did the ados and she scored in the moderate to severe range. So it's a test to see if a child has autism and if so, where they probably lie on the spectrum. 

Why do you have this scheduled now when you're no longer concerned about autism? It will definitely let you know one way or the other if you're still on the fence.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 11, 2013 at 5:55 AM

It just certifies the markers of autism in your child. Even though he's outgrown them, it could still benefit greatly as far as a definitive answer.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:28 AM

These ladies summed it up...good luck and let us know!

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Yep, it's an autism test.  I don't think it tells anything more than if your child is on the spectrum.  Good luck. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Since you have the appointment, why not just go and take the test. That's what I would do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megandwade
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies!

At his last appointment, at the Child Developmental Unit, we left with the understanding that Autism was no longer a concern. Then when we received the report of that visit in the mail it suggested we have the ADOS test. When I called to ask why this was in his report but not discussed at the visit they advised me to make the appointment, which I did... but it left me kind of wondering why on earth this was suggested in his report in first place when the doctors clearly told us Autism was no longer a concern? 

megandwade
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I think that's what we are going to do. The facility where he is to take this test is really far away. Making the trip is really going to hurt financially but I suppose it's better to take the test than to not, so we will be making the trip on Monday!

Quoting mypbandj: Since you have the appointment, why not just go and take the test. That's what I would do.

mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

oh boy I can understand that! Gas is just so expensive. But I do think it will be good to do. You can completely rule out the idea of autism....or not. Either way, I think it will be good.

When my son was 7, I took him to an autism clinic and they said he did not have autism. He had signs but not enough to say it was autism. This was 9 years ago, before they put everything under one umbrella of ASD. I never understood why they didn't just say PDD-NOS. It really made me angry because I felt like I left there with MORE questions. If my son didn't have autism, WTF did he have? Because trust me, he had SOMETHING!

A few months later they called me for a follow up, to see how we were doing. I told them how I felt and they referred me to a neruropsychologist. That guy did give my son an eval and Dx him with Aspergers and ADHD.

Now I have another son, he is 3 and has some of the same signs. I haven't taken him in for an eval because, well to be honest, I'm afraid of them saying he doesn't have it. And I already feel like I'm crazy. So I guess I'm just waiting for it to be plainly obvious before I try to get an eval. I guess....

Please keep us updated! I can't wait to hear how it goes on Monday.

Quoting megandwade:

I think that's what we are going to do. The facility where he is to take this test is really far away. Making the trip is really going to hurt financially but I suppose it's better to take the test than to not, so we will be making the trip on Monday!

Quoting mypbandj: Since you have the appointment, why not just go and take the test. That's what I would do.

megandwade
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:16 PM

So we had our appointment for the ADOS testing Monday and we really didnt make any progresses..

They told us that my son shows many of the signs of Autism but currently were not ready to make a diagnosis. Yet, they didnt want to say that he does not have Autism as it is still a possibility for a diagnosis in the future.. so this has left us stuck some where in the middle?

Basically He has too many red flags to say that it is not Autism but not enough to say that it is.. so where does that leave us?

They advised us to seek more therapies and come back in a year...

samomama
by Sally on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Waiting sucks. But that is why we are putting off DS's evaluation for July, when he turnes 3. How old is your son? How long did the test take?

Good luck! I know how you feel, not knowing... We are in the same boat. Meanwhile DS has ST and working getting OT.

Quoting megandwade:

So we had our appointment for the ADOS testing Monday and we really didnt make any progresses..

They told us that my son shows many of the signs of Autism but currently were not ready to make a diagnosis. Yet, they didnt want to say that he does not have Autism as it is still a possibility for a diagnosis in the future.. so this has left us stuck some where in the middle?

Basically He has too many red flags to say that it is not Autism but not enough to say that it is.. so where does that leave us?

They advised us to seek more therapies and come back in a year...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)