Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What kind of information comes from an ADOS test?

My son is scheduled for the test Monday. I don't really have any concerns for Autism but it was a concern when he was much younger. He has since outgrown many of the behaviors that had us concerned in the first place..  I'm wondering what all we may learn from the ADOS test and if it is an appointment we should keep?

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Replies (11-18):
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM

That is really frustrating! At least you know that the possibility of autism is back on the table. Do you feel in your heart that he is on the spectrum? 

Quoting megandwade:

So we had our appointment for the ADOS testing Monday and we really didnt make any progresses..

They told us that my son shows many of the signs of Autism but currently were not ready to make a diagnosis. Yet, they didnt want to say that he does not have Autism as it is still a possibility for a diagnosis in the future.. so this has left us stuck some where in the middle?

Basically He has too many red flags to say that it is not Autism but not enough to say that it is.. so where does that leave us?

They advised us to seek more therapies and come back in a year...

megandwade
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM

My son will be turning 3 in Feb. We were at the appointment for I'd say almost 2 hours... we talked a lot and then the psychologist played with DS for a while.  DS is currently in Early Intervention and receiving OT, SI, and Speech but we are in the process of transitioning out of E.I and into the Intermediate unit with him turning 3. The problem is we're pretty much crossing our fingers that he is eligible for OT and SI through the intermediate unit. If not we're stuck without services with no diagnosis and we all agree that the services seem to be crucial to his positive development. If that makes sense?

Quoting samomama:

Waiting sucks. But that is why we are putting off DS's evaluation for July, when he turnes 3. How old is your son? How long did the test take?

Good luck! I know how you feel, not knowing... We are in the same boat. Meanwhile DS has ST and working getting OT.

Quoting megandwade:

So we had our appointment for the ADOS testing Monday and we really didnt make any progresses..

They told us that my son shows many of the signs of Autism but currently were not ready to make a diagnosis. Yet, they didnt want to say that he does not have Autism as it is still a possibility for a diagnosis in the future.. so this has left us stuck some where in the middle?

Basically He has too many red flags to say that it is not Autism but not enough to say that it is.. so where does that leave us?

megandwade
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM

To be honest I really have no idea! At one time I completely came to terms with the fact that he was on the spectrum and then he was doing so well that I came to believe it was no longer a concern.. now I have no idea what to think! After talking with the psychologist yesterday she did make me aware of the red flags. Some I was already aware of and some that were newly pointed out to me... Now I honestly don't know what to think.

Quoting lady_katie:

That is really frustrating! At least you know that the possibility of autism is back on the table. Do you feel in your heart that he is on the spectrum? 

Quoting megandwade:

samomama
by Sally on Dec. 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand your concerns. Yeah, you don't want to discontinue therapies if he needs them. And at this point you don't know if he will qualify for services without diagnosis after he turns 3. He will be under the school system then and it is a whole new story. I once only briefly talked to our ST on the subject and she mentioned that he may qualify for services even without official diagnosis, but I don't know what determines that. Some other moms here may have experience and knowledge, I am interested to hear what they have to say. We will be looking at the same issues in several months.

Quoting megandwade:

My son will be turning 3 in Feb. We were at the appointment for I'd say almost 2 hours... we talked a lot and then the psychologist played with DS for a while.  DS is currently in Early Intervention and receiving OT, SI, and Speech but we are in the process of transitioning out of E.I and into the Intermediate unit with him turning 3. The problem is we're pretty much crossing our fingers that he is eligible for OT and SI through the intermediate unit. If not we're stuck without services with no diagnosis and we all agree that the services seem to be crucial to his positive development. If that makes sense?

Quoting samomama:

Waiting sucks. But that is why we are putting off DS's evaluation for July, when he turnes 3. How old is your son? How long did the test take?

Good luck! I know how you feel, not knowing... We are in the same boat. Meanwhile DS has ST and working getting OT.

Quoting megandwade:

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh man, I guess it's hard to tell when it comes to the really high functioning kids at this age. At least you know that you're dealing with autism traits in general. 

I'd do some research, hang around this forum, maybe get a 2nd opinion at some point, and see what your "gut" says about it then. You know him best after all! 

Quoting megandwade:

To be honest I really have no idea! At one time I completely came to terms with the fact that he was on the spectrum and then he was doing so well that I came to believe it was no longer a concern.. now I have no idea what to think! After talking with the psychologist yesterday she did make me aware of the red flags. Some I was already aware of and some that were newly pointed out to me... Now I honestly don't know what to think.

Quoting lady_katie:

Quoting megandwade:

AMom29
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I had to have that done to qualify for benefits in my state, even though my son has had a virtural alphabet soup of tests in the past.  It is just the perferred test to verify ASD by insurance companies.

LIMom1105
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I hope they can figure out what's going on when he's a little older. Things do become clearer with time for most kids.

My son had an ADOS score that did not qualify him for autism diagnosis, but the psychologist saw so many red flags he gave him a PDD-NOS diagnosis.
megandwade
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I'm wondering why they didnt give us the PDD-NOS diagnosis as well?

Quoting LIMom1105: I hope they can figure out what's going on when he's a little older. Things do become clearer with time for most kids.

My son had an ADOS score that did not qualify him for autism diagnosis, but the psychologist saw so many red flags he gave him a PDD-NOS diagnosis.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)