Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

possible diagnosis of autism for 2 yr old son

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:47 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hello everyone,

My son is 2, and ever since he was born he's had alot of medical issues. He's had to wear a helmet to correct his head shape, had torticollis ( which involved pt for 19 mos.), scoliosis ( possible 25 degree curve), acid reflux, and asthma. Yesterday I received a phone call from one of the Help me Grow people, and based on all of his behaviors and such, they seem to think that he could have autism. I called Cleveland Clinic's autism school and they're sending me out some forms to fill out, and after that they're going to make an appointment to get the process started. I'm a little nervous, but I know that if the answer is yes he's autistic, then I need to take the next step..

by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck!  Sorry for all that you both are going through.

dawncs
by Dawn on Dec. 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck! I would go with their recommendations. It is good he got recognized early. It can help him reach his full potential in life through education and therapies.

Dawn
Innovative Cookbook Writer and Internet Resource Research Writer
Check out my books at: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/dawnlucan

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group and good luck!! 

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

welcome You and your son have had a tough beginning. You have the right attitude. Figure out reality, and deal with it. Welcome and hugs.

samomama
by Sally on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group and good luck with the evaluations. We are looking for one too. The moms in this group are great and you will find support here.

birdlover280
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Thank you ladies! It feels great to have the awesome support of individuals that have been where I'm at now. I've had a feeling for the past 6 mos. that my son did things differently then my other children, but honestly, I thought it was just adhd. With him being my first son, I didn't know if this was normal behavior or not. I've always heard the saying " he's just a boy, and he'll grow out of it." Sorry, but I think some people just aren't sure how to handle a situation like this. When I told my husband what April, from Help me grow, said he was quiet, and I feel all along he thought that Ronnie wasn't my favorite, and I just didn't take "enough time" with him.

What's great, is that I was told on Tuesday that there's a program called Ohio Choice, and from what I understand, an autistic child is given $ 20,000. yearly for tuition to go to an autistic school. I'm really pumped, because I've been going to Cleveland Clinic ( Shaker Campus) for OT, PT, and speech for Ronnie, and everytime I'd go I always wondered about the school. I'm grateful to know that his doctors are there, and that if I'm unsure of something, they can guide me the right way. 

I know my husband is very protective of our son, and on many occasions I've tried to discuss Ronnie's behavior to him, and he was offended. Now that we know some of these professionals have this " inkling" about Ronnie, it's starting to make sense why he does strange things with his hands, and why he's always touching his hands when he gets upset. Nervous, but looking forward to this journey I must embark upon..

samomama
by Sally on Dec. 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM

It is great that you have these things available to you. We live in a small town. I mean really really small, and there are close to no services here. I fear how things will go for us once we have a diagnosis. We will be looking at options of moving ...

Quoting birdlover280:

Thank you ladies! It feels great to have the awesome support of individuals that have been where I'm at now. I've had a feeling for the past 6 mos. that my son did things differently then my other children, but honestly, I thought it was just adhd. With him being my first son, I didn't know if this was normal behavior or not. I've always heard the saying " he's just a boy, and he'll grow out of it." Sorry, but I think some people just aren't sure how to handle a situation like this. When I told my husband what April, from Help me grow, said he was quiet, and I feel all along he thought that Ronnie wasn't my favorite, and I just didn't take "enough time" with him.

What's great, is that I was told on Tuesday that there's a program called Ohio Choice, and from what I understand, an autistic child is given $ 20,000. yearly for tuition to go to an autistic school. I'm really pumped, because I've been going to Cleveland Clinic ( Shaker Campus) for OT, PT, and speech for Ronnie, and everytime I'd go I always wondered about the school. I'm grateful to know that his doctors are there, and that if I'm unsure of something, they can guide me the right way. 

I know my husband is very protective of our son, and on many occasions I've tried to discuss Ronnie's behavior to him, and he was offended. Now that we know some of these professionals have this " inkling" about Ronnie, it's starting to make sense why he does strange things with his hands, and why he's always touching his hands when he gets upset. Nervous, but looking forward to this journey I must embark upon..

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM

How fortunate that it was noticed now, that he has some issues.   That will really help a great deal, to get started early with any therapy - occupational, physical, etc, that he might need.

Many children have some symptoms of autism, but they don't quite fit every piece of the dagnostic criteria.   So whether it is autism, autism-like or more like a language disorder, it is always SO good to start early and get him what he needs.

You have been through a lot and it may seem like bad news, but in fact, I see so many as adults who didn't get help (I'm an old lady and back in the day, language issues, autism, were very often missed) when they were little and this little boy is a very, very lucky little guy to have good people on his team who care about him and notice things that could lead to him getting help he needs.

birdlover280
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful words of wisdom, as I greatly appreciate it. Hoping I get my paperwork in the mail tomorrow, so I can fill it out and hand deliver it on Monday so he can get on the small waiting list they have. I read a good site last night about autism, and so many things they described about it fit my son to a "T". I will be so glad when the whole evaluation comes and goes, and there's that final answer I'm waiting for..bowing down

Joni-mom23
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Welcome! I`m from ohio too. I have a son thats almost 4 we found out he has autism when he was almost 3. I only wish we had a school close to home for children with autism but the closest one is about 45 miles away. So he just goes to pre-school where he gets pt,ot and speech. at first it was a relief to find out because now we understand why he does the thing he does. I suspected something not being right when he was about 13 months old but his doctor wouldnt listen to me. Your husband sounds like mine listens but doesnt say a word. I think its alittle harder for them to accept. Do yourself and him a favor dont pressure him too much to talk about it with you and he will come to you when he is ready. My husband has just now begun to talk about my son having autism with me. So for me its been a very lonely road traveled by myself! Good luck and ince again welcome you have come to the right place moms on here are great and can offer alot of advice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN