Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What's the worst thing someone has ever said to you about your special needs child?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is kind of a spin off of my other post about how you react to the public in regards to your special needs child.

What is the all time worst thing someone has ever said to you about your SN child...whether it's a stranger or someone you know?

by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Replies (81-84):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Oh my goodness...

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

M FIL called my son a "jungle boy." Good times...

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I'm so sorry mama...hugs!

Quoting luvnoah10:

About a year ago when my son was 9, we were standing in line at Old Country Buffet . My son brought a stuffed animal to play with but starting hitting his dad with it, so i took it away. he started trying to grab it back from me and was whining for about 5 minutes this went on. (we probably should have left and just went home at that point...but we didn't because it was just about our turn to pay and get a table) Anyway, this older man (50-60ish) and younger man (20-30ish) were right in front of us and kept looking at my son..he then asked " how old is he" I said "9" he then said "he's acting like he's 2". Then both men are laughing.I thought to myself, just ignore him...then he states " if he was my son, I would ...(then he acted out spanking with hand motions)...then they laughed again. I just couldn't ignore that comment...so i proceeded to tell him that he has autism and that obviosly he is not familier with kids with special needs...(why i feel like i have to explain my child to a stranger really made me upset at first but then realized that it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of us because they don't know me or my son and I think he is a pretty terrific kid just the way he is!!!) Of course this man did not have any more comments for us but didn't apoligize either....

KnittingMomC
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I wish my parents could find a grandparents support group for autism, so they could understand how to help us best.  

Quoting StarLight23:

I don't think my dad would understand autism either. Luckily I have an awesome step-dad.

:)

Quoting KnittingMomC:

My dad thinks my daughter with autism is spoiled, too.  He just doesn't understand that kids with autism can't see the whole picture, and that anything out of line can upset them very quickly.  Like the broken hamburger incident.  

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Wow...how does your FIL feel now?

Quoting princess_1983:

In public if my son is being hyper we usually just get weird looks from people. The only thing anyone has said anything was my father in law. It was a few years ago. He said my son was just a spoiled brat and would just grow out of the Autism.

Bleddynt
by Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM

That she is a spoiled brat. Oh how I hated that comment when my kid was a toddler!  and more recently, my daughter started this hitting thing lately, mostly she hits me on my back after too much over stimulation and then something not going how she expects, but my family member said, "you should just hit her back."  I wanted to hit my family member, but instead I said "it doesnt work that way." I know how to deal with my asd child, I dont need those ignorant comments.  You would think with all the emails and conversations I have had with my family members about autism that they would get it by now, but I guess unless you are raising your own sn child you really never get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN