Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Disabled single Grandmother of 53 ..Raising 3 yr.old. AUTISTIC Grandson

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 6 Replies

A LITTLE BIT ABOUT ME

In 2007 at the age 47 I was diagnosed with Spondlytitus, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Fibromalgia at the age of 45. Before that I was a single mom raising 3 kids-two boys age 7 and 8 and a 2 yr.old girl.

Working two jobs without getting any child support sucks. After working 30 years in the medical field as a Nursing Assistant my career was over. That same yr. my youngest Jeremia age 25 was in a car crash which left him disabled and he moved in with me so I could help take care of him.

Things were peaceful for about three years until my daughter got raped and became pregnant with my grandson Damion who was born in 2010. She also became disabled due to mental illness that year. Its been a roller coaster since then. I have raised Damion off and on since.

Chasity became an alcholic early in 2012. She would spend her whole check in two days and I ended up paying for her groceries, diapers, ect.Things it rock bottom for her when she got evicted from her apt. for not paying the rent.

My Grandson-Damion

In Aug. this yr. of 2012 the courts awarded me temperarey custody. Damions father nor his family want nothing to do with Damion. What makes me sad is that he is their only grandchild. 

Damions in school now and doing fine.Its been hard on me because I was raised in an orphange and dont have any relatives to help give me support. The only people who care are my children.

My oldest son Jon is a wonderful dad to his 3 young children.Him and his wife both work min wage jobs to support their family. I am grateful for Jon because I dont own a car and he brings me to grocery store when possible. Im saving money to buy a car starting in January 2014.

I am also grateful for this site allowing me to air my problems and concerns. Taking care of an autistic child is no easy task at any age.Damion and me are constantly learning to communicate with each other through verbal and touch responses.

For example I have been rubbing his feet for about a year and now he rubs my feet. He even trys to brush my hair. He can say his entire alphabet and numbers. We watch alot of Youtube.... Abc Songs,Nursery Ryme Songs, Color Songs,and Animal Songs. There all educational and you dont have to load and unload a CD because it is continous play 24 hours a day.

Now Im sitting at my son Jon's house babysiting my 3 other grandchildren along with Damion. Jason is 3 yr. old too. He has two sisters Emily age 6 and Gabrielle age 10.

I feel so relieved to get this off my chest. I have been depressed lately and was trying to find ways to socially connect.

Thank You Cafe Moms!

by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  You sure have had a lot of ups and downs and some rough times. I'm glad you found us, this is a great group for support. We are here to help if we can or just "listen". Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. Hugs!

butterbean777
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I really like your advice about autism. You have the best answers to all the questions. You have done your research. Thank you!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 16, 2013 at 5:49 AM

Welcome to the group!  Glad you're here:)

amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Welcome!  It sounds like Damion is in the best of hands (and I don't think I'd want him around his birth father anyway, after what he did to your daughter).  He sounds like a sweet little boy.  :)

Jenniy
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Hi and welcome to the group!! :)

wildchild.com
by Janine on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Hello & welcome (((hugs)))
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN