Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Social stories?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM
  • 27 Replies

I ordered some on Amazon, but the selection seemed limitted. I found this source:

http://easysocialstories.com/SocialStories.htm#stories

Where do you find social stories? I've heard some of you make social stories, how do you do that? Is there a website that helps?

Edit: I particularly need a social story on turn taking.

Thanks.

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
samomama
by Sally on Dec. 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Bump

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 16, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I don't have experience with this as my son has the mentality of a 12 month old, but hugs and good luck!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I borrowed a HUGE book from the library, of about 500... But, it was funny..  Didnt know I was doing social stories when I would tell Sam stories at night when he was 2/3... Lol.. 

I would tell him stories about a boy names Mas (sam backward) who had to go to the bank with his mom. How the line would be long, and Mas would need to keep his hands to himself, stand nicely with space between the man in fron and the woman behind.. as might get bored, but he could (enter a suggestion of what your guy likes to do) .... ;) and something fun after the bank for doing a great job! 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
With my son his school & home therapist do this for us. Sometimes I'll do one with plain paper & just draw things out for him. Also everyday I write out his schedule so that he's prepared for the day. Brady is able to read so this helps alot.
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I just put pictures with the words of a story of what he is supposed to do. Nicolas responds to these.
patnic
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Carol Gray is in Michigan and she copyrighted Social Stories.  TheGrayCenter.com is a good place to go for more info.  You can even call and talk to the center for information.

samomama
by Sally on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM

It is great if you can capture what you want to tell in drawing. I am bad at drawing, I am not sure how much DS will recognize of what I put on paper. I may get better with practice I suppose. Thanks Janine :)  

Quoting wildchild.com: With my son his school & home therapist do this for us. Sometimes I'll do one with plain paper & just draw things out for him. Also everyday I write out his schedule so that he's prepared for the day. Brady is able to read so this helps alot.

samomama
by Sally on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:51 PM

That is something we could try. Thanks!

Quoting Nickmom1118: I just put pictures with the words of a story of what he is supposed to do. Nicolas responds to these.

samomama
by Sally on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Thanks for the info!

Quoting patnic:

Carol Gray is in Michigan and she copyrighted Social Stories.  TheGrayCenter.com is a good place to go for more info.  You can even call and talk to the center for information.

by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Our aba therapists write them specific to my child and situation using pictures of my dd and real pictures. For example, we are leaving on a trip and so we have a story about it. It has pictures if all of my daughters and me. And it has pictures of the airports we will be in, security, the inside of the airplane, the main adults we will see, and my dad's house where we will stay. It is completely custom to our situation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)