Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gluten-free, Dairy-free Diet

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 16 Replies

My son has been on the Gluten-free, Dairy-free diet for a few months now and I must say it has made such a huge improvement in his overall behavior. He's like a different person. He'll be starting pre-K soon where he'll receive several different therapies, so things could only get better. The other day he stayed the night over at his grandparents' house and they accidently let him eat regular crackers and I knew something was up when he had a major outburst that he hasn't had in such a long time. Just proves things as small as a diet change can make a difference. I remember thinking things wouldn't get better, but they really do! Keep your heads up mommas J

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

That's so exciting that you've seen so much improvement!  We're going to try a gluten-free diet starting in the new year and have already started making a few changes.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Great news mama!  I'm so glad this is working so well for you guys!

mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:43 AM
That's awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Has that been hard to stick to? I tried when D was little and just gave up!

EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Awesome!! We too have amazing results going gf/cf/ sf
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Awesome! My son and I are both ASD and he is dairy protein intolerant (since birth) and I just found out that I am allergic to wheat. I don't think this is a coincidence! So, he's on a CF diet and I'm on GF now, guess I might as well combine the two at this point and make us both GFCF and see what happens.
Nwhite26
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM
It was a tad difficult for him because he's very picky, but i was already gf and df before so the shopping wasn't difficult. He loves pasta so I found a bunch of rice pasta substitutes, and Udi's gf bread is amazing which he loves! Once we were able to find substitutes it wasn't that hard at all.
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

It's great that he has responded so well. My son is gluten and dairy free. He is also egg and peanut free. He is allergic to all of these things. I can't say it affects his behavior in one way or another because we have not given him these things since he was 12 months old. His allergies show with swelling and hives. Not all food allergies show up as severely as my son's. It could very well mean that some of our kids are allergic to dairy and wheat but we don't know it because the symptoms are on the inside. I'm sure when those allergies are eliminated that they feel better, and don't act out as much.

AlissaM77
by New Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Hello! You sent me a reply to my post...thanks so much for that.  I just started my daughter on a gluten free diet, and it is really great to hear that your son is doing so well with it.  I wasn't sure if it was really going to work, but I have heard a lot of success stories.  She has only been on it for a few days now.  How long did it take you to really notcie a difference in your son? 

Nwhite26
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AlissaM77:

Hello! You sent me a reply to my post...thanks so much for that.  I just started my daughter on a gluten free diet, and it is really great to hear that your son is doing so well with it.  I wasn't sure if it was really going to work, but I have heard a lot of success stories.  She has only been on it for a few days now.  How long did it take you to really notcie a difference in your son? 

Of course I'm happy to reply! IT took my son 2-4 weeks to see a real change. Now, I think we've been spoiled with his good behavior because seeing him the other day after he had eaten a regular, gluten filled cracker, took me back to the old days. It really does make a world of difference! Good luck, I'm sure your daughter will definitely benefit from it and you will see a real improvement soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)