Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did I tell her a bold faced lie?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM
  • 29 Replies
3 moms liked this

I might have told a bold faced lie to the cashier at Target this morning, but I'm not sure. We were in the checkout line, Brady was exhausted and at the end of his rope, but he was quiet and calm. The cashier asked me how old he was & I told her 5 years old. She then asked if he had some sort of a problem. I responded with no he didn't have a problem, but then asked her why she would ask me that. She said she assumed he had a problem if he still had a pacifier/blanket at 5 years old. I knew what she was trying to say although she chose the wrong words, but I still answered her question with no as Brady doesn't have a "problem." Good grief! People can be so nosy at times. I firmly believe that Brady's special needs aren't "problems" so I insisted on telling her that he did NOT have a problem. Was that a bold faced lie? She looked at me like I was crazy!

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM
3 moms liked this

You didnt lie.. brady doesnt have a problem... And really, I firmly agree with you that explainations are not necessary for the cashier at target. 

I think a "i hope you have a very happy holiday" was really all she needed to say. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

You didnt lie.. brady doesnt have a problem... And really, I firmly agree with you that explainations are not necessary for the cashier at target. 

I think a "i hope you have a very happy holiday" was really all she needed to say. 

-BeautifulRose-
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM
To discuss your son's diagnosis to answer her question would have been confirming that he has "problems." And we all know that's not what he has. I think she was very rude asking in the first place.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

EXACTLY!  That's why I told her "no" and left it at that.  She could have thought my kid was just a big baby for all I cared.  I hated her use of the word "problems" and I wasn't about to called my son's special needs "problems"!

Quoting -BeautifulRose-: To discuss your son's diagnosis to answer her question would have been confirming that he has "problems." And we all know that's not what he has. I think she was very rude asking in the first place.

Krissyc75
by Kristin on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM

There is absolutley nothing wrong with our kiddos:) What the heck is she thinking, so nosy!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I think you gave her the right answer. People are so obnoxious sometimes.

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

You didn't lie, Brady doesn't have a problem.  Brady's perfect.  The cashier is the one with the problem, ignorance and lack of verbal filter and manners.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM

clappingNope, you didn't lie.  People can be bold and ignorant.  You handled it brilliantly!

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Nah, you simply chose your words according to how she chose her words =) 

by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I agree with everyone else. You didn't lie. He doesn't have a problem. To be honest, I have seen plenty perfectly "normal" kids with pacifiers and blankets at 4 and 5 years old. Heck my friend's almost 10 year old son brings his favorite stuffed animal to my house when I watch him. He has no diagnosis.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)