Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I might have told a bold faced lie to the cashier at Target this morning, but I'm not sure. We were in the checkout line, Brady was exhausted and at the end of his rope, but he was quiet and calm. The cashier asked me how old he was & I told her 5 years old. She then asked if he had some sort of a problem. I responded with no he didn't have a problem, but then asked her why she would ask me that. She said she assumed he had a problem if he still had a pacifier/blanket at 5 years old. I knew what she was trying to say although she chose the wrong words, but I still answered her question with no as Brady doesn't have a "problem." Good grief! People can be so nosy at times. I firmly believe that Brady's special needs aren't "problems" so I insisted on telling her that he did NOT have a problem. Was that a bold faced lie? She looked at me like I was crazy!

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (21-29):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:20 AM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't matter how you told her....it wasn't her business and that was so damn ignorant for her to phrase it that way. Tell her the only problem was her ugly face opening its' mouth...some are born with no common sense or filter. Sorry, Darby.

EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM
You handldes it much nicer than I would have. Oh boy. I would a said no he doesn't have a problem. Do you???
wildchild.com
by Janine on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM
She's the one with the problem! Nosey witch should learn how to mind her own business. Some people are just idiots...
samomama
by Sally on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I don't think you lied. Even if you did, that is not the cashier's business! How rude of her to ask that question in the way that she did.

samomama
by Sally on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Besides, a daughter of a friend of mine was with her blanket and was sucking her tumb until the age of 5. She is an NT girl.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I don't know what kind of people they are hiring for cashiers... but I've had a sort of similar  thing happen to me before. I was a cashier in retail for a few years, and I NEVER asked personal questions. And a "what's wrong with your kid" is a personal question. I would personally complain. Her job is to be polite, yes ma'am no ma'am, scan your items, bag your items, take your money, and have a nice day! What she did was wrong. You need to call and complain. God forbid she does this to the wrong mom... so yes, call the store and ask to speak to the store manager. If that gets you no where, call their corporate office. You didn't do anything wrong.

jessylynn33
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Lol... no I don't see a lie their. You just used "the wording" of things to sute the situation just as she did. As she was nosey and did not want to "use the WORDS" but at the same time butting in where she did not belong as well as doing it rudely. You being smarter and better prepared simply used the same trick. As nothing is truly "wrong" with our kidos besides rude snd mean ppl nit minding their own business. Baggers and cashiers tend to be nosey to. One said my daughters beautiful open happy smile was a "joker smile" like from batman..... I turned that around and said yep she LOVES to smile! She was flustered as she was trying to say something their lol. She also looked like a grumpy unhappy person.
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I would have said I think you're the one with problem.

KnittingMomC
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:53 AM

How unprofessional.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)