Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

He was doing so well and then....

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:39 AM
  • 8 Replies

they had the dreaded CHRISTMAS PLAY. You know..the one that the whole school attends? His aide said the noise was so bad she honestly had a headache so she wasn't surprised when she saw D trailing off into his own world and sort of tuning everyone else out. Then the lights went out and he looked like a deer caught in headlights. She walked over and asked if he was ok and he begged her to leave. So they did. Sigh....

BUT he got to go into the library and help the librarian put books away. He loves the library because of reading and the quiet. He is learning all about the Dewey Decimal system too! So it ended up being a better fit for him anyway.

How do your kids do when there is something at school like a play or assembly? D pretty much hates it.

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I don't blame him one bit. I have issues with things being too loud and I'm happy he was able to leave and do something that suited him. Maybe you can ask if they record the plays and buy a copy to watch at home? That way he can still see what everyone was getting to see, but he can watch in the comfort of home and choose his own volume level.

My dd isn't old enough for school yet, but this weekend we went to Fuzzy's Tacos and it was really loud in there. We'd never been to one that was loud like that before but this one was in a new location and I think they were trying to pull in a different crowd. Anyways, I was worried, but my dd actually did pretty awesome. When we were near some people with little kids that were talking very loudly to be heard over the loud music, she started panicking, but we sat in an area with no one around us and she was able to handle the loud music itself. 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Brady didn't attend this year either it was just too much this year. Poor thing I think he really wanted to go but his anxiety got the best of him :-(
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Mine is just prek so they really don't have that stuff yet.  But the 'graduation' ceremony they did last year he did not attend because of too many parents, singing, etc.  And the 'know your body' presentation this year to help kids understand to speek up at unwanted touching he also did not attend.  His teacher took him in the multipurpose room and let him play ball and run around.  His learning capacity was not going to be there to understand what he was being told, it would have been crowded, etc.  Teacher did not mind missing it to play with buddy in the other room.  She had my daughter in there too so it was just their own fun time. 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Omg, I hear you! As I was dropping Sam off yesterday the principal was talkng about how the 3rd graders were going to have their annual holiday assembly that afternoon... My ears pricked right up and I was like ... "Ugh, i hope THAT goes ok." In sams IEP it says he can sit in the back and leave if he needs to.he KNOWS he has an exit strategy and that makes all the difference for him. 

but, yeag, I hear you LOUD and clear.. Hard! 

Lisamg
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM

My son is 15. He has always had problems with assemblies and getting up on stage and singing.

jowen905
by Jan on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Those types of situations used to really overwhelm my son when he was younger (first time at Chuck E Cheese he laid on the floor and just kicked his feet with a blank look on his face, first time at a holiday ice skating show the lights were turned down and people started cheering, he was panicked and we had to leave), but he's 12 now and he doesn't have much trouble with loud, bright, action-packed events - he may need to move to a less boisterous area for awhile to get some "quiet time" and then return, but I do the same thing!  Hopefully things will get better for your little guy as he gets older!

BDSMI
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM

My ASD son is 14 and he has learned to go to his "happy place".  He does an excellent job tuning everyone (including the speaker) or whatever is going on OUT....I sometimes wish I could do that....

Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Ashton hasn't been in a school play or musical yet but assemblies he tolerates but he pretty much hates them too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)