Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Are your kids perfectionists??

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM
  • 18 Replies
Max is a perfectionist. If he can't do it properly, he won't do it. He didn't walk til he was 15 months and the day he walked, it was perfect. (Which I anticipated)

Well he needs to sign and use his hands with mine touching him. Piano is played hand over hand, he will grab my hand and drag it there to help him. The sound on the piano has to be a song. No wrong notes. He signs hand over hand and when he signs by himself, his therapist thinks he is "babbling" sign language because he doesn't want to get anything wrong.

Soooooo. Yeah it's cute and hopefully serves him well one day, but I am willing to bet the reason he won't talk or sign solo is because he hasn't got it all figured out yet!!!!!

Anyone else's kids like this??
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM

lol yes, this sounds like my son too! I remember his first speech therapist would reward him for "signing more" when he would hand flap out of frustration or excitement. I used to get SO annoyed at her because when he did actually sign for more, he did it perfectly. There was no confusing a hand flap with the sign for more with him lol. Just goes to show you how poor of fit she was. She didn't know him, nor could she read what he was "saying". 

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM
How is he now with signing?

Quoting lady_katie:

lol yes, this sounds like my son too! I remember his first speech therapist would reward him for "signing more" when he would hand flap out of frustration or excitement. I used to get SO annoyed at her because when he did actually sign for more, he did it perfectly. There was no confusing a hand flap with the sign for more with him lol. Just goes to show you how poor of fit she was. She didn't know him, nor could she read what he was "saying". 

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Eh, signing was never really his thing. He does much better with visual choices. He signs "more" and "all done", and the other day he signed "please" for the first time, but that's about it. Interestingly, he LOVES watching signing time though. I think that he understands the signs pretty well, but he just doesn't catch on to using them as much, so I try to use them whenever I can to help aid his receptive language. 

Quoting Maxsmommy123: How is he now with signing?

Quoting lady_katie:

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Dec. 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Did you post about the magnet board or was that someone else???

I am still experimenting. Lots of babbling happening, and some signing. He hasn't caught on as much with pictures but I think I'm going to make a board for him.
mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:54 PM
YES! My older son would erase and erase things to get them right or just take forever!
My younger son was writing his name tonight and he kept freaking out and saying it was wrong and hard. He's 3 btw and I didn't even know he could write his name! He just did it. And I praised him all the way but he still got mad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Hugs mama...no, my son is not a perfectionist...he might be one day though:)

deadlights86
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:24 AM
He has his moments but usually he's far from it. He will repeat parts of his sentence until it comes out perfectly. Its really annoying.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Awe that's so cute. My son isn't a perfectionist but has to have things a certain way...
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM
My son is a perfectionist. Not with speech though. Anything he does has to be done the right way. He will get so frustrated if its not perfect. I think that's why he won't write his name. He says he can't do it. I think it's because it's not how he thinks it should look. I am amazed how preschool can get him to color or write at all. Because I can't. :)
Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Yay!! I was hoping more people would respond because I'm so curious if there's other kids on the spectrum like this. He's got a lot of pride too, my son. I could see him not writing his name because he would be afraid it wouldn't be right. He doesn't write or spell yet obviously he's only 20 months, but most everything else he does has to be done right. He's so serious, lol.

It's kind of cute but I can also see how it might get very frustrating.

Quoting Nickmom1118: My son is a perfectionist. Not with speech though. Anything he does has to be done the right way. He will get so frustrated if its not perfect. I think that's why he won't write his name. He says he can't do it. I think it's because it's not how he thinks it should look. I am amazed how preschool can get him to color or write at all. Because I can't. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN