Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
Max is a perfectionist. If he can't do it properly, he won't do it. He didn't walk til he was 15 months and the day he walked, it was perfect. (Which I anticipated)

Well he needs to sign and use his hands with mine touching him. Piano is played hand over hand, he will grab my hand and drag it there to help him. The sound on the piano has to be a song. No wrong notes. He signs hand over hand and when he signs by himself, his therapist thinks he is "babbling" sign language because he doesn't want to get anything wrong.

Soooooo. Yeah it's cute and hopefully serves him well one day, but I am willing to bet the reason he won't talk or sign solo is because he hasn't got it all figured out yet!!!!!

Anyone else's kids like this??
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Replies (11-18):
princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Yes, my son is. If he is drawing he will erase something if it isn't right. He also puts stuff bacl exactly how it was. Like if the pillows on the couch get moved.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Ya. He has always been like this. Nicolas is a young 4. I actually have an IEP meeting and going to ask the teacher how they get him to color and trace. He loves art, and when he does it, it looks like an older child put it together. My DH always says that couldn't be him doing that by hisself. :)

I love that he is like that. I guess I will have to train him that it is ok. I am a little of a perfectionist too. Lol

Quoting Maxsmommy123: Yay!! I was hoping more people would respond because I'm so curious if there's other kids on the spectrum like this. He's got a lot of pride too, my son. I could see him not writing his name because he would be afraid it wouldn't be right. He doesn't write or spell yet obviously he's only 20 months, but most everything else he does has to be done right. He's so serious, lol.

It's kind of cute but I can also see how it might get very frustrating.

Quoting Nickmom1118: My son is a perfectionist. Not with speech though. Anything he does has to be done the right way. He will get so frustrated if its not perfect. I think that's why he won't write his name. He says he can't do it. I think it's because it's not how he thinks it should look. I am amazed how preschool can get him to color or write at all. Because I can't. :)
littlepinkrose
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM
My nephew is a perfectionist also. When he was in pre-school his teacher would send notes home saying we needed to practice with the pencil because he was not holding it right. (He used a fist hold instead of the pincer hold to write.) I had to tell him he needed to hold the pencil at school like he did at home. Difference was I made him hold the pencil right when writing and the school did not. When I asked him why he is not holding the pencil right he said that it is harder to write and feels weird to hold it that way. He finally got it down though and he is now 7 and does fine. With reading though he will not sound out the word unless he is pretty sure he knows what it is. When I tell him to sound it out he only does it one letter at a time and gets all huffy about it because he does not know the word. And with spelling he cries if he does not get 100% on his tests. And he used to get really frustrated in speech therapy to where he would not do it hardly at all. Ever since he started with speech therapy in school they have said he puts in really good effort. And he is acting better when we tell him to say it right. (He is lazy with the enunciation. )
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Yeah, sam will get in his head the way he wants something to be... And when its not that way, he gets upset. :( not so much with writing or drawing.. (Since he knows he has OT issues) but sometimes even with his thoughts or words.. He will have difficulty organizing them for his sentance to come out.. Or GOD FORBID some INTERRUPTS him and he loses the train of thought. LOOK OUT! 

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Dec. 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Lol oh these kids ❤❤❤
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Dec. 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

If I would have answered this yesterday I would have said no. But yesterday my son was putting the blocks in alphabetical order and he moved the letter I to another table. But when he would recite the alphabet he would turn and look at the I after the he said H. His ABA and I couldn't figure it out. Then all of a sudden it made sense. There are 26 letters in the alphabet. He wanted 5 rows of 5 so a letter had to come out. He chose the letter I LOL.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:56 AM

That's adorable! Not D though. Only my oldest of the three is ...he is exactly like me in that regard.

tictacmama
by Arlea on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:17 AM

my son's twin is like that (he has some markers but is not diagnosed) . He is an extreme perfectionist. He always wants a napkin with dinner but for the longest time wouldn't use it because he didn't want it to get dirty! He is the only kid in his pre-k class who actually wrote his own letter to Santa so it does have it's advantages ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)