Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Need help for my autistic son

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 16 Replies
The past 3 days I tried taking my son out to the store and he goes into a meltdown. Kicking and screaming. He does have sensory autism. He goes into a full out tantrum that I can barely handle. Has anyone gone thru this before? I really could use some advice
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM

My daughter has started having meltdowns upon walking into the grocery store. I have to have her blanket with her (her comfort object) and I show her the candy machines at the front and tell her if she calms down she can have some runts. When she calms down I buy the runts and she gets to have them one at a time throughout the store. 

A couple of times telling her about runts wouldn't calm her down, so we'd walk around outside (my daughter loves being outdoors). So we'd walk around on the sideway down the shopping strip, I'd hold both her hands and jump her up and down, and after a few minutes walk inside and try again.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM

You could try a compression and/or weighted vest. This really helps my son to relax when he's dealing with sensory overload. We also use a weighted blanket when we can, and they use a weighted lap pad with him at school during "circle time" sometimes. 

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM

another thing that might help while you  are trying to order the blanket/vest is a compression shirt you can get them at walmart for like 10.00 

also if he will wear them try head phones

or a tablet with games and movies on it

Quoting lady_katie:

You could try a compression and/or weighted vest. This really helps my son to relax when he's dealing with sensory overload. We also use a weighted blanket when we can, and they use a weighted lap pad with him at school during "circle time" sometimes. 

emarin77
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM

When my son acts like this in the store or restaurant we take him out of the store or restaurant to calm him down.  Then come back into the restaurant or store when calmed down.

mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM
How old is he? I rarely take my 3 yr old anywhere alone because he is so unpredictable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Welcome to the group mama!  Is he in ABA therapy by chance?  Those behavioral therapists have worked wonders with my son:)  Hugs!

Judith3351
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Josh's Mommy.  Please note you are not alone.   My grandson did this and his mother was not able to go to the grocery store.  What we did was to take him out as often as possible.  Small trips even if we did not stay.  This will pass when he finds out nothing to be scared of.   I am with you in prayers.

Krissyc75
by Kristin on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I agree:) Keep trying to take small trips and bring a little bag of things he likes to comfort him. I was told by his speech therapist and she does this isuse pictures and a list of things you needs to get, have him be in charge of the list and have him cross off until you get to the last thing and say "ok we are all done and its time to go" hope this helps:) good luck!

Quoting Judith3351:

Josh's Mommy.  Please note you are not alone.   My grandson did this and his mother was not able to go to the grocery store.  What we did was to take him out as often as possible.  Small trips even if we did not stay.  This will pass when he finds out nothing to be scared of.   I am with you in prayers.

karene999
by Karen on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:22 PM

How old is he...My son did this, heck at 16 it can still be difficult some days. i bring things that he likes, and start slow. Go and walk in the door and then back out; it takes time but don't give up. Just slowing increase the amount of time you spend in the store. Plan the time you go, my son always did better after a nap.

it will get better, I promise...

dawncs
by Dawn on Dec. 19, 2013 at 3:05 AM

It could be the holiday season shoppers causing him problems. The stores tend to do more music now to set the mood with holiday music which tends to be loud. You might want to make him wear earphones or ear plugs when you take him out until after the holiday season.

Dawn
Innovative Cookbook Writer and Internet Resource Research Writer
Check out my books at: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/dawnlucan

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN