Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
The past 3 days I tried taking my son out to the store and he goes into a meltdown. Kicking and screaming. He does have sensory autism. He goes into a full out tantrum that I can barely handle. Has anyone gone thru this before? I really could use some advice
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (11-16):
want10more
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:35 AM

my one kid went batshit when we went shopping too. but he's not autistic, he was just being ornery. maybe try to find a chat/web site? get in touch w/ other parents of austism?

want10more
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:36 AM

and............. i just noticed i was IN an austism chat room. i guess i'm an idiot. ugh. sorry!

Quoting want10more:

my one kid went batshit when we went shopping too. but he's not autistic, he was just being ornery. maybe try to find a chat/web site? get in touch w/ other parents of austism?

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:49 AM

My son is 12 and I have never had to deal with this, but there are so many in this gorup that do and I know they will be so helpful!

joshsmommy23
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM
He is 4

Quoting mypbandj: How old is he? I rarely take my 3 yr old anywhere alone because he is so unpredictable.
joshsmommy23
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
He goes to hillside school which is a behavioral school

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome to the group mama!  Is he in ABA therapy by chance?  Those behavioral therapists have worked wonders with my son:)  Hugs!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Stores are crazy this time of year... Even I, a perfectly NORMAL (?) neurotypical grown up, HATE being out in the stores during holiday season. Too noisy, too chaotic, smelly, just insane... 

Im guessing he is sensorily overhwlemd. Headphones to dull the auditory senses... Ipad to dull visual stimuli, a snack he likes to dull the olfactory... Hopefully, with all those creature comforts you wont need to worry about the other 5 senses... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)