Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Well that's new

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter has started a lovely new behavior ...... she has to lick the majority of her toys when she plays with them. Mainly her shapes blocks. We have a back and forth game where she gives me a block and I stack it on another block ... now she has to lick each block before handing it to me to put it on the stack. If I try to add one myself before she's licked it, she will pull it back off, lick it, then hand it back to me. If I try to move it out of her hand before she's licked it she starts kicking and screaming.

Other than trying to get her to stack the block before licking it, I haven't tried to stop the behavior. I'm really trying to figure it out and I have no idea. And ofcourse we don't see her OT again until Dec 31st. I'm stumped.

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jowen905
by Jan on Dec. 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Sometimes you just have to pick your battles.  As long as it wasn't a safety issue I'd just let my son do whatever his little habit was at the time.  Maybe you can redirect her by doing other things with different toys (like how fast can we put these balls in this basket?).  Maybe offer her a popsicle or something else to lick and only let her have it if she doesn't lick her toys?  Hopefully she'll just move on from this......you'd hate to see her start licking other things around the house or other stuff when she's out and about.  Never a dull moment!! lol

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Yeah, that's part of the reason I haven't really tried anything to stop her yet. My only worry is next week is Christmas and she'll be around some other kids and I'm worried about her licking all the toys the kids are trying to play with. I tried doing puzzles with her and she licks each puzzle piece before putting it in. Our balls are plastic, so she'll probably lick the balls before doing anything with them. I guess I need to pull out all non-plastic toys and try to only play with those for awhile. Because it seems she only wants to lick the plastic toys. 

Quoting jowen905:

Sometimes you just have to pick your battles.  As long as it wasn't a safety issue I'd just let my son do whatever his little habit was at the time.  Maybe you can redirect her by doing other things with different toys (like how fast can we put these balls in this basket?).  Maybe offer her a popsicle or something else to lick and only let her have it if she doesn't lick her toys?  Hopefully she'll just move on from this......you'd hate to see her start licking other things around the house or other stuff when she's out and about.  Never a dull moment!! lol

emarin77
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Quoting jowen905:

Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM

My son went through that phase.  I don't think anything we tried helpd but eventually he just stopped doing it.  I know it's frustrating. 

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Does she still lick if she's chewing gum or candy?  How about the chewable jewelry?  Unsure if this will help because it sounds like she's doing more licking than chewing.

Would she lick something else instead of the toy, like a sucker?  Or maybe lick the sucker/plastic spoon, something and then the sucker/plastic spoon something can then touch the toy?  Removing the plastic toys sounds like a great solution for now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)