Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Chiropractor

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM
  • 11 Replies

Has anyone heard about chiropractor who helps ASD children? Can anyone share this information?

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I have no experience with chiropractors. Sorry!

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I've read about it but no actual experience here, sorry. Hope someone on here can help.

mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Is it supposed to help with symptoms?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jennymoon4
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:14 AM
My daughter saw a chiropractor a few times. He would adjust C1 (I think that was it) with a tool that just made a pop sound. Sorry I'm not more help, it was a few years ago...

Anyway, he was my chiropractor & he is very into alternative medicine. He knew my daughter had autism & mentioned maybe he could help. We tried & it was pretty good for her. Back then, she often had a glassy look to her eyes (she was 2). After the adjustment, she just seemed more clear. She had better eye contact - still minimal as she had almost none back then. Most noticeable was how relaxed she would become immediately after adjustment.

Unfortunately, the results wouldn't hold for much more than a day. We stopped going because once she was closer to 3, there was no way she'd lay on the doctor's table! It may be something we'll try again someday now that she's older. I'd like to wait until she communicates a bit better so that she can tell me whether it helps.
patnic
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:18 AM

I've seen it advertised, but not a believer.  I think a lot of people would love to make some money on some desperate parents who have kids with asd.

I use the chiropractor on my own back, but wouldn't a spend a dime on something like that for my kids with asd.

Good luck on your decision.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Welcome to the group!  I have no experience to be honest.  Good luck though:)

jowen905
by Jan on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM

My 12 year old goes to the chiropractor about every other month for an adjustment.  We actually started a few years ago, on the recommendation of his OT.  She thought he had some stiffness in the neck and decreased range of motion.   Whether it really helps with any ASD issues, I have no idea - I've never noticed any behavioral changes.....  However, he has always loved going there and says it makes his back feel so good, so I continue taking him.

AMom29
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Yes.  My children see a chiro.  Have since they were babies.

AMom29
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Quoting mypbandj: Is it supposed to help with symptoms?

Yes.  The idea is that the body is connected -- that the adjusting the spine (and all the connected muscles and nerves) help the brain.

http://www.chiro.org/research/ABSTRACTS/Autism.shtml

http://stevens_mom.tripod.com/id59.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/what-is-chiropractic-neurology-for-autism

samomama
by Sally on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I have not heard of it. But welcome to the group! 

P. S. Chiropractor helps me. Generally, it should help whenever there is misalignement, and chiropractor fixes it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)