Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Out of the mouth of babes!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
So, the DH flies in for the holidays- we all go out to eat celebrating his homecoming. I can't wait to 'show off' how mature Sally has become since last time we saw him. She's doing GREAT- best ever! Sally (5) is her daddy's little girl! So, everything goes awesome- till the end. DH tells Sally to say goodbye to waitress, and Sally says " Goodbye Grandma !" Sally seems to think anyone 35 or so and over is 'grandma'. Now, it cracks me up! Its USUALLY a safe bet that they probably ARE grandma's- but hell, their strangers, who knows, right? Lol. I'm 44, so she called all my friends back home grandmas, but they are and are my dearest friends- so they don't care!
Well, the waitress is SO embarrassed, she ends up making a big deal of it. Mind you, I am a waitress ( have yet to have anyone call me grandma- thank God!), but she goes on and on. I was sitting at table waiting to pay check, rest of the family had left. When she brought back my card, I let her in on that Sally was autistic and to not let it bother her, she calls everyone that. She wasn't a grandma at all- only had 15 yro son! Lol
I usually don't throw out the autism card unless absolutely nessisarry. This was one of those times! At least she was impressed on Sallys behavior- we all were! Lol
I've tried to explain it to Sally but gave up. Now I just thinks its funny, but I'm a bit onery, so I've been letting it slide.
Thought I'd share-cracks me up!
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:03 AM

I wouldn't have been offended at all...I think it's cute!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

My friends daughter doesn't have autism and says funny things like that all of the time. I'm sure the waitress has heard worse ;)

Basherte
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I would have let it slide as well. My one little boy at one point was calling all females "mommy" and all males "daddy" I just kept reminding him that while they may be a mommy or  a daddy that they were a lady and a man.He associated that since I was a female and a mommy that all females were mommy's. same with men.

It was cute for the couple of months that it lasted.

That little boy is an NT child. 

CafeMom Tickers
aidansmom2001
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

lol...I throw the autism card anytime, any place for any reason my 12 yr old son has a negative impact on someone ...lol..

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Oh dear lord, I may have cried. Sorry... But at 40 (and counting) with a 7 year old i would freak if anyone called me grandma... Really, 35 and a grandma is UNHEARD of here in the North East.. Im kind of floored bythat passing   comment... Damn! NONE of my friends are grandmas and ALL are 45-35 .. ALL have kids 13 and under. 

I mean, after graducate school (24) we got jobs, worked, met our hubbies around 26-28.. Got married, some had kids right away, some didnt, some had fertility issues... (Like me) and didnt have kids until 35. 

Wow... Im just floored by where you guys live that at 35 its a safe bet that someones a grandma... Wow! 

Now, dont get me wrong, I realize Sally just generalizes and doesnt have a mean bone in her little body.. , but OUCH... Women and their age and how they look, whew.. Sensitive subject! 

karene999
by Karen on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:26 PM

My son quotes Friends, he looks people up and down and says "Hey, How you doin???" I think it is hysterical...but had one person get upset.

My mom tried to get me those business cards that discribe autism that you can hand out to people to explain your childs behavior...told her don't bother, was no ones damn business.

luvnoah10
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Wanted to share something cute my son said the other week...He was brushing his teeth and I was trying to help (since he always seems to miss the same teeth everyday)...he was complaining that it hurt when i brushed over the one area...I told him that's probably because he has gingivitis...he asked " isn't that a gum disease?" surprised he knew what it was, I responded. "yes it is"...he then says "But i don't even chew gum" LOL ...out of the mouths of babes
want10more
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:33 AM

LOL what a giggle she gave ya! what a cute lil sweetie heart!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Oh no!LOL!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:51 AM

I know! I'm sitting here at 45 and don't see any grandchildren coming around my house anytime soon. BUT my sister became one at 42...go figure.

Quoting SamMom912:

Oh dear lord, I may have cried. Sorry... But at 40 (and counting) with a 7 year old i would freak if anyone called me grandma... Really, 35 and a grandma is UNHEARD of here in the North East.. Im kind of floored bythat passing   comment... Damn! NONE of my friends are grandmas and ALL are 45-35 .. ALL have kids 13 and under. 

I mean, after graducate school (24) we got jobs, worked, met our hubbies around 26-28.. Got married, some had kids right away, some didnt, some had fertility issues... (Like me) and didnt have kids until 35. 

Wow... Im just floored by where you guys live that at 35 its a safe bet that someones a grandma... Wow! 

Now, dont get me wrong, I realize Sally just generalizes and doesnt have a mean bone in her little body.. , but OUCH... Women and their age and how they look, whew.. Sensitive subject! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)