Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

3 yr old ablout to start a 30 plus hour week

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM
  • 31 Replies
So we are in the process of transitioning from EI . To preschool starting in January. And 25 hours a week of behavioral therapy and 2 hours a week of speech. Any survival tips? This seems extremely high to me. But worth it for our son.
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Idk. I refused to do that because I knew my sin and I would both lose it. My best advice is to keep reevaluating everything and adjusting to make sure everyone is happy and productive.
dawncs
by Dawn on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no advice. However, I do recommend reading http://www.wrightslaw.com/, http://www.autismspeaks.org/, and http://www.thearc.org/ for more information about the next stage and transitioning to it.

Dawn
Innovative Cookbook Writer and Internet Resource Research Writer
Check out my books at: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/dawnlucan

mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow that is a lot. What will he be getting from the school? Is it different than the behavioral therapy and 2 hours of speech?

My son is in preschool for 12 hours a week, then he has 1 hour of speech and 2 hours of language. That's all we can handle.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

You never know until you try.  Be flexible if it's too much.  When we started therapies I had the mindset "everything, now, quickly" because I feared the clock was ticking and we were losing valuable opportunities and the window on my son's progress would slam shut. I slowly learned he goes at his pace and it works out ok.

Your child may handle it without any snags or you may observe he shuts down/doesn't cooperate or is just too tired.  It's ok if it doesn't work out, you will develope a plan that works for him.  Best wishes:)

princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

That does sound like a lot. My son is in Kindergarten and gets 6 hours of ABA a week. You should take some time for yourself while your son is in therpy.

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

i would start out with a lower number of hours with the behavior therapy until you know how he will handle it

Krissyc75
by Kristin on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I would try it and if it seems to overwhelming for your child you can always re-visit and lessen the hours. I went today to preschool and did Reids IEP and he goes to preschool 10 hours a week with 2 hours of in classroom cpeech therapy. He will continue his outside therapies as needed. Good Luck:)

emarin77
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Your son is going to do well.  There might be some issues here and there but he is learning and that is all part of preschool.  My son did the two  years of preschool and now is in typical kindergarten.  He is doing so well in school now.  Remember to go to your son IEP meetings.  You as well as the teachers are the team to support your son in learning.

baconator1218
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM
I thought it seemed high. But I don't know if its the norm or what. Everyone I know says go for all we can get. But for a 3 year old though geez.we are approved for up to 25 hours a week of ABA and can use as much or as little as we like. Got his IEP and was very happy with it.

Quoting princess_1983:

That does sound like a lot. My son is in Kindergarten and gets 6 hours of ABA a week. You should take some time for yourself while your son is in therpy.

baconator1218
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM
THAT'S EXACTLY how we feel. I don't want to overwhelm him. But we won't know till we try it out. He likes staying busy . I added it all up and with school ABA and speech its 36 hours a week. From 4 hours a week with EI we just finished. That's a huge difference and we see so much progress just from the 4 hours . And he def has a lot of bahavior problems that he needs to work on. We'll do a two week test run and if its too much we can scale back as much as he wants.

Quoting Jenibob:

You never know until you try.  Be flexible if it's too much.  When we started therapies I had the mindset "everything, now, quickly" because I feared the clock was ticking and we were losing valuable opportunities and the window on my son's progress would slam shut. I slowly learned he goes at his pace and it works out ok.

Your child may handle it without any snags or you may observe he shuts down/doesn't cooperate or is just too tired.  It's ok if it doesn't work out, you will develope a plan that works for him.  Best wishes:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)