Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Every time he sees her he screams and runs away

Posted by   + Show Post

For the last few weeks when my mom comes over my son screams and runs in the other room. This is not typical behavior for him. He LOVES my mom. Always has to hold her hand when we walk into stores, sits by her in resteraunts, cries if she moves 5 feet in front of him. She can not leave his sight or he will cry "meme, meme". It has really upset my mom .I told her not to take it personal. We have no idea why he is acting like that?

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Replies (11-18):
princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM

My mom watches him once or twice a month so my husband and I can go to a movie oe out to dinner. It started about a month ago. Last month she watched him for a few hours so we could go see The Hunger Games Catching Fire. She raised her voice and swatted him on the leg for something. But she has done that before. So ever since then he has acted like that towards her. Maybe it could be seperation anxiety. But she has taken him places before and he wou;d be fine untill he saw me then he would cry. 

Basherte
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Has she changed anything about herself a few weeks ago?
Started/stopped wearing makeup.

changed cologne?

wearing or not wearing glasses?

My heart goes out to you and your mom. I can imagine how heart breaking this is

Is her hair different? Color of the hair different?

CafeMom Tickers
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:54 AM

I'm also wondering if it's the change that happens in his routine when she comes over. I know a change in ours, even if it were a trip to Disney!!!, would make D a bit upset. It's not that he doesn;t adore her, it's that he sees her and feels his routine getting a little wonky. Just an overload for him.

Tell your mom to just hang in there!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 19, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Not sure mama...hugs!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Why would your mom swat him and yell? 

I think thats your answer. At this point, he has learned she isnt a safe person to be around. Our kids CANT learn by being hit,,, and typical old time parenting doesnt teach. It bullys... So, im glad your son is screaming when you mom comes cause he is telling her, its NOT alright! Good for him! She better listen! 

I dont have parents that watch my kid, but sorry, id be fuming if anyone hit Sam out of punishment. Our children need to be taught not hit. 

Sorry... Nothing I can swallow respectfully, stuff like this angers me. 

Quoting princess_1983:

My mom watches him once or twice a month so my husband and I can go to a movie oe out to dinner. It started about a month ago. Last month she watched him for a few hours so we could go see The Hunger Games Catching Fire. She raised her voice and swatted him on the leg for something. But she has done that before. So ever since then he has acted like that towards her. Maybe it could be seperation anxiety. But she has taken him places before and he wou;d be fine untill he saw me then he would cry. 

Bleddynt
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM

my daughter did this to her father when she was about 2-3 years old.  I finally figured it out (as she didnt talk back then).  It was whenever he would shave off his mustache.  then i noticed she did the same thing at preschool, when a friend of hers changed his hair style.  did your mom dye her hair or anything else that might be dramatic or even a slight change in her appearance?

oh another thing.... my dads girlfriend told my daughter that she "has" to wash her hands after going to the bathroom and then told her about germs and it kinda scared my daughter (because this lady really has no idea how to talk to my daughter, its not what you say its how you say it) so now my daughter will never forget the way she was spoken to and doesnt care to see my dads friend any more. I have to talk to my daughter before we see this lady and re-explain that she didnt mean to say anything to hurt her (my kids) feelings and that she should forgive her.  After I go through this speech the visits are pleasant. Now I have to figure out how to explain to my dads friend to please not give my daughter life lessons, teachings, and advice, that I am the one who will handle those things.

hope you figure out whats going on real soon.  did your son talk to you about anything that may have happened?

mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

So sorry mama. It's hard when they seem to be rejecting someone, hopefully you guys can figure out what's wrong.

yourdoingwhat
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Did she change her hair? color? style? Did she get glasses? Has she been sick and have a sore throat or stuffed nose, that may have changed her voice a bit? Has she been wearing a hat? Scarf? bright colored coat? Is she loud now when she comes in? I know these are the strangest questions but something that we may not notice is really noticed by children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)