Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

So emotional lately

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 14 Replies

I don't know if its the holidays or what but lately (as in the past few days) Ashton has been so emotional. Just bursting into tears over what is usually just a little thing. Normally he gets frustrated and might yell or something but not cry. He cried 3 different times today all silent tears and when I ask him what's wrong he tells me which is great but just not like him to be so emotional... In a way it's easier than when he screams but it breaks my heart seeing him cry. 

by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnaNonamus
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

It could be any number of things- changes at school, different weather, the change in the house with holiday decoratings, the change in school vacation, or just plain old feeling insecure.

It's never easy to see it happen, and not knowing how to change it. :(

Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM

He's had holiday parties at school Wed. and Thurs and a party last night at our church AWANA program. He loves this time of the year but I really think it is throwing him off :/

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

It could be any number of things- changes at school, different weather, the change in the house with holiday decoratings, the change in school vacation, or just plain old feeling insecure.

It's never easy to see it happen, and not knowing how to change it. :(

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm guessing all the "hub bub/excitement/feelings" the holiday season brings?  I'm a goof ball right now and certain Christmas songs make me cry (especially the happy ones, go figure).  My son wears his heart on his sleeve but we also have to watch, his concerta makes him extra sensitive too. 

Hopefully Ashton will  get back to his "happy medium" after the season.  I hate my son's tears too, makes me sad:(

Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Thanks, I'm hoping that's all it is.  There hasn't been any other changes I can think of.

Quoting Jenibob:

I'm guessing all the "hub bub/excitement/feelings" the holiday season brings?  I'm a goof ball right now and certain Christmas songs make me cry (especially the happy ones, go figure).  My son wears his heart on his sleeve but we also have to watch, his concerta makes him extra sensitive too. 

Hopefully Ashton will  get back to his "happy medium" after the season.  I hate my son's tears too, makes me sad:(

mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh man Liam has been so....idk, challenging lately. Emotional is a good word to describe him but not emotional in the sad way, more like in a frustrated and drive me crazy way.
My guess is that I'm so busy that he's acting this way. Idk. But hopefully both our boys start feeling better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I had social delays as a child and the holidays were always hard for me. The rest of the year it's not too hard to get over not having many or any friends and not really being able to interact with other kids the way they interacted with each other. But when the holiday parties started and you got alot more free time at school, alot more time to interact with your peers, it just made it obvious, even to yourself. I don't know if your son enjoys being alone or not but for me ....... I was always alone but never wanted to be. I just didn't know how to be friends with the other kids. I tried and they were sometimes nice and would talk to me in class but I could always tell I didn't have the friendship they would have with others. 

Like I said, I don't know if this is your son's case but just thought I'd let you know holidays were always the worst for me because of my social deficits. I wanted to have fun at the parties, I wanted to be amongst the other kids. And sometimes when I tried to actually really open up to them and not just pretend to be like them, they'd pull away and call me weird.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Is it a full moon?

im incredibly emotional these days too.. Im with ashton... Somethings off... I feel it too. :( its no fun at all.. 

Its like the stick/money/ abttery theory.. You wake up with a certain amount,, 6 dollars... And as the day goes by, you have to pay for stuff... Getting out of bed sometimes is a cheap 25 cents, somedays, its a whole dollar... By the end of mid day, Ive been running out of "money"... And just get over emotional... 

I dont know if it is the holiday stress Im feeling from everyone... Or what, but, ugh... 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 20, 2013 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

My other 2 kids have been wound up! Definitely got to be the time of year

Quoting mypbandj: Oh man Liam has been so....idk, challenging lately. Emotional is a good word to describe him but not emotional in the sad way, more like in a frustrated and drive me crazy way.
My guess is that I'm so busy that he's acting this way. Idk. But hopefully both our boys start feeling better soon.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I sure hope there's no full moon!

that is a great way of looking at it. I love the way you think. Are you a psychologist by chance? 

Quoting SamMom912:

Is it a full moon?

im incredibly emotional these days too.. Im with ashton... Somethings off... I feel it too. :( its no fun at all.. 

Its like the stick/money/ abttery theory.. You wake up with a certain amount,, 6 dollars... And as the day goes by, you have to pay for stuff... Getting out of bed sometimes is a cheap 25 cents, somedays, its a whole dollar... By the end of mid day, Ive been running out of "money"... And just get over emotional... 

I dont know if it is the holiday stress Im feeling from everyone... Or what, but, ugh... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN