Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Having tough time feeding my daughter. Any suggestions?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM
  • 18 Replies

My daughter was in table food until 17 months and after she became autistic she became picky eater. So went back to gerber food. She eats only 3 food. Applesauce, mango sauce and banana with water and rice cereal. That too it has to be the same brand like gerber. I have to even blend it in a blender and make it as liquid inorder to feed her. Whenever i try new food, she touches them and throws them in the floor but never put it in her mouth. When i force her she screams and throws up. Recently i took her to a feeding therapist. Her therapist said she is a complicated case since she is already 3 now and that she also has sensory issues and it might takes years for her to even try a grape or apple. I got so frustrated and that person also started torchuring my daughter infront of my eyes like "using a rope tied her hand and forced her to eat" and she said that is the only way it will work. And instead of eating my daughter started throwing up and totally hated all food now. So I had to literally stop her therapy there itself. I don't know is that the only way.

Other than the above food she likes":

Hash browns, pizza, french fries , any crunchy snack plus pediasure and multigrain cereal.

But her current doctor told me to stop everything and make her completely gluten free. So from multigrain cereal we moved her into organic rice cereal. So from last two days she is on complete strike without eating. What can i do?

I am going crazy. I am also sick with flu that makes my life miserable.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks again

GP.

by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillettemomma
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:43 AM
2 moms liked this
I am an autistic adult and I can count on my hands the foods I can (note can not want) to eat....it's hard but most food textures make me gag and luckily I was never forced to eat food I don't "like"..... I deal within my food limits and I am not starving.... my suggestion would be to give her what she wants to eat and don't force other things.....I know that's going to be opposite what alot of ppl are going to say.....I have never done or believed in the whole gluten free thing because most of the food on my safe list are carb based foods......With my autistic kids we bring them to the grocery store with us and they for the most part pick out what they want to eat which means most of our meals are very unconventional....they are almost 2 and 3 and both are very underwieght but since we started doing child led feeding they are both gaining weight steadily..... I will say doctors aren't always right and you need to do what is right for your kids....another thing we use is breakfast essentials instead of pediasure because it has a better taste (lol even I drink it to get nutrients)..... good luck you will figure out what works for your daughter
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I want to first say that was a horrible feeding therapist! My son has been in feeding therapy since he has been 2. Is there a children's hospital near you that can recommend a different feeding clinic or therapist? Making her to eat and forcing it isn't going to work. First you have to get her comfortable with the foods she likes again. I can not do any specific diets withy son because of his limited diet. He won't eat anything that is gluten free.

There are steps that can be taken very slowly to get her to taste and try other foods. With Nick, they did touch, kiss, lick, touch with teeth, bite and spit out, bite and hold in mouth, then swallow. It is a very slow process.

As long as she is gaining weight then it's not a rush to figure it out. If you have any questions ask.
karene999
by Karen on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I would probably have gone to jail for punching the therapist. Tying her arms like that is outrageous. I agree with the comments here. As long as she is at a healthy weight percentage then not critical...

Find out about feeding clinic, let her go back to the foods she likes. My son is still a restrictive eater and he is 16 but is doing great.

I make alot of his foods myself, and hide pureed veggies or fruit in the food.

It will be ok, just follow your instincts.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was eating Gerber 3 foods until he was 5... FIVE! No one would help us, until I found a therapist that had recently started her own therapy business. My son was sort of her first "experiment". She had taken classes on ABA, and applied it to feeding therapy. She came to our house once a week, and used ABA principles on my son. Within 6 months, she was no longer needed. My son was eating a variety of foods, and willing to try new foods. It's possible, trust me. My son has been eating real food for a year and a half now. You have to find a dedicated therapist that knows what they're doing and the right approach. My son was just like your daughter with the screaming, throwing, gagging, throwing up... It was even so bad that we couldn't eat our food next to him because he would start gagging at the sight of it! It took 6 months of feeding therapy once a week to get my son past all of that, so don't listen to those idiot doctors/therapists, cause they obviously don't know what they're talking about. Keep looking for professionals that actually know what they're doing and know autistic children. It's hard, I know, it took us from the time my son was 12 months old until he was 4 to find someone who knew what they were doing! It also takes a lot of dedication at home. You can start looking for feeding programs or therapists at ABA centers. Our son started eating because of the iPad. He got a turn on the iPad if he took one bite, or even just a taste! We moved on from there to get him to get away from jar food to food that I made and pureed. Then it moved on to where we are right now. Good luck in your search! It's possible, trust me! Been there done that!

Preety863
by New Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Instead of giving market French fries u can try giving her home fried potatoes (thin cut). By tying her hands with rope is not a good idea. This way she can be rebellious. You keep introducing her different types of food but make sure Whatever you r giving her to eat you also eat her in front of her. If you keep trying this way she may start liking different types of food items.n

emarin77
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I would just continue introducing new foods to her.  Throwing foods is not acceptable so every time she doesn't throw them give her a small treat, it can be apple sauce but it can a sticker too, anything your child likes.  Let her know about this small award before she eats.  Hope this helps. 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Let her play with a new food.. Get comfy with the texture, build a fort with food, a face with food.. Get her to get her hands in it squish it! 

Try to food chain,, find food that are simliar in taste and similar in texture, maybe a motzerella stick dipped in sauce.. (Texture of a french fry, but taste like pizza) try to build onto other foods... And keep chaining... 

Please let your dd eat what she wants.. Dont force.. But once she plays with a food, feels the texture, suggest she rub it n her tongue, each day try to increase her tolerance.. So touch, taste, see if she will take a bite, but let her spit it out if she needs.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Welcome to the group!  These ladies have some great advice:)

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in the same boat!!!!

And this advice rocks.
Basherte
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 6:24 AM

First.

Don't listen to anything that person has said to you. Don't do it.

That person doesn't know anything.

You don't physically force a child to eat. You already saw what can happen. My first son (to my now husband) did the same thing. He would puke. I stopped that immediately.

NEVER again.

There are other ways to get your little one to expand the kinds of foods that she will eat.

Hang in there Momma.

Good luck.

Oh and the gluten free? My son would have practically nothing to eat.  Plus it's really expensive and from what I've been told by a therapist, she said that she didn't see any significant change in behavior or anything that would have her recommending it. (Only when I asked about it)

(I wasn't the one that tried to force feed my son. that was someone else, who got more than an ear full from me. Lucky he didn't get worse.)

I don't force my sons to eat anything that they can't eat.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN