Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 16 Replies
Hello everyone,

I have known that my little man is very hyper. But this winter break has really shown me how hyper he is. Lol. The busy schedule he has had since the beginning of Nov. has really been good for that. His special ed teacher has also made comments that nick is a hyper little guy! So, I guess I am wondering if there are any ASD kids with ADHD that doesn't have to medicate.

I really don't want it to get to the point of having to medicate for him to focus and learn. But I will if nothing else works and he needs it for school. I guess I'm just thinking ahead and trying to learn all options. The place that diagnosed him don't diagnose ADHD until 6. He just turned 4. But put in the report that he needs to be watched for it.

Thanks for any info.
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

One of my BFs son was Dxd ASD at 4, and then DXd this past Sept with ADHD. He is NOT medicated. he is in 2nd grade, He too is in an ICT class (not Sams class, different district). He plays baseball and wrestles 2 nights a week and goes to religion and that helps his body with all the energy.  Will say he struggles academically and socially (based on attentional issues) and Im guessing within the next 2 years she will consider medication... 

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Thx for the insight. My mom (which is starting to come to terms with everything and admitted that she sees it now!) told me that I should put him on meds. That he isn't going to learn without it. I just am against it at this time. But will educate myself for the future. :)

Quoting SamMom912:

One of my BFs son was Dxd ASD at 4, and then DXd this past Sept with ADHD. He is NOT medicated. he is in 2nd grade, He too is in an ICT class (not Sams class, different district). He plays baseball and wrestles 2 nights a week and goes to religion and that helps his body with all the energy.  Will say he struggles academically and socially (based on attentional issues) and Im guessing within the next 2 years she will consider medication... 

lucasmadre
by Kari on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM

All I can say is yes, the two can go hand in hand (my son has both) and from the research I have done I would hold off on meds as long as you can. My son is 9 and we are still not medicating. Karate helps more than anything else does. Focus, focus, focus.... good luck.  XO

BDSMI
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has ADHD and ASD.  When tried not medicating and we held off until first grade.  He was diagnosed at age 4 medicated at age 7.  It was the hardest choice but looking back it was the best choice for us.  Good Luck!!!

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM
My daughter was originally diagnosed with ADHD but then recently with ASD (PDD-NOS). We did try medication but it didn't work. Honestly her hyperactive behaviors are more from her sensory issues and stimming. I see much more improvement in her when she's active and getting lots of sensory input. My son is the same way. If he is around loud sounds he becomes a hyper mess. He also has autism. They both get overstimulated by sensory.
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I also wanted to add that just because a child has trouble focusing on learning doesn't mean they need medication (if you're wanting to avoid it). My son has trouble learning because of his focus so we use things he's interested in to learn. I do it all the time at home (he's 3.5) and he's made a lot of progress. I can see how it can be hard in the future so we started early at setting up the foundation for having the skills that he needs by getting him involved through his special interests. Schools can work with him too if you just stay on top of them. I will most likely homeschool him but there are so many ways to help teach kids how they can learn without meds:)
emarin77
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Kids with Autism might have like ADHD symptoms because of the energy they have jumping up and down, stimming, running around but this cannot be fully considered a diagnosis of ADHD. 

Once a child is in class and find them talking too much, not listening or walking away from their seat there is more concern of ADHD.  Other symtoms are not completing their work on time and their attention on activities they should not be doing.  These symptoms need to be occuring 6 months.  Once diagnosed by a psychologist or doctor experienced in ADHD, medication is best used.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM
That is nick, even though he is only in preschool right now.

But this is why they won't diagnose him till he is 6. I don't want to do meds unless completely necessary. I am wondering if the running and jumping could be the ASD though now that u said something.

Quoting emarin77:

Kids with Autism might have like ADHD symptoms because of the energy they have jumping up and down, stimming, running around but this cannot be fully considered a diagnosis of ADHD. 

Once a child is in class and find them talking too much, not listening or walking away from their seat there is more concern of ADHD.  Other symtoms are not completing their work on time and their attention on activities they should not be doing.  These symptoms need to be occuring 6 months.  Once diagnosed by a psychologist or doctor experienced in ADHD, medication is best used.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was diagnosed at 3 years with Autism and he runs and jumps still at 5 years.  If your son was diagnosed by a psychologist or doctor that has experience in Autism I woudn't worry.  Your child needs a variety of symtoms to be diagnosed as ADHD for 6 months at least.

Quoting Nickmom1118: That is nick, even though he is only in preschool right now.

But this is why they won't diagnose him till he is 6. I don't want to do meds unless completely necessary. I am wondering if the running and jumping could be the ASD though now that u said something.

Quoting emarin77:

momofblueeyes04
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I personally hate medicating my daughter who has adhd however it really helps her in school and focus on her work more. there was a total difference in her grades and work with no meds and with meds. I absoulutely hate her being on meds and my mother in law is constantly making comments like "make sure she takes her medicine before she comes over" it makes me so freaking mad. My daughter is not a bad child she is just exstremely entergetic so the only reason why she is on meds is for school bc i want her to succedd I am hoping when she is older she can learn how to conrol it a little better so she can go off meds.Good luck dont do anything u arent comfortable with and see all your alternatives before decideing on meds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)