Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

New York time article on ADHD

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM
  • 6 Replies

I thought I'd share. I have not had to read it all, saving it for later. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/30/health/adhd-experts-re-evaluate-studys-zeal-for-drugs.html?_r=0

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:39 PM

The article just isn't for me.

My son is 5 yrs old. Started adhd medication when he was 4 yrs old. He's been in therapy since he turned four. All of it -- behavioral therapy, parent training, and medication -- all of it is crucial for him. He has severe ADHD and some bouts of ODD. For us, its critical.

samomama
by Sally on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I figure it will be different for different kids. I don't have any experience with ADHD, but thought somebody else might the article helpful. Just to see what is new out there ... 

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

My son is 5 yrs old. Started adhd medication when he was 4 yrs old. He's been in therapy since he turned four. All of it -- behavioral therapy, parent training, and medication -- all of it is crucial for him. He has severe ADHD and some bouts of ODD. For us, its critical.

shajdinyak
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Did u even give a shot at doing it naturally removing dyes, gluten, dairy? Adding some supplements like dhas/ omega 3s, etc? So many people dont believe, are not aware or willing to try and so quick to medicate with these hard core meds.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Quoting shajdinyak: Did u even give a shot at doing it naturally removing dyes, gluten, dairy? Adding some supplements like dhas/ omega 3s, etc? So many people dont believe, are not aware or willing to try and so quick to medicate with these hard core meds.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

I give him omega 3's. Coromega orange packets and they have been awesome! I really attribute his fast development (relative to how he was) in no small part due to the omega 3s. I also give him an iron gummy (beet juice dyed).

Actually, lately, I've been having bout of anger and now I know its because I stopped using Schiff ultra melatonin which has:

Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal-5-phosphate)  0.5 mg 25%
Calcium (as calcium carbonate)  200 mg 20%
Magnesium (as magnesium hydroxide)  10 mg 3%
Melatonin  3 mg*
Glycine  40 mg*
L Threonine  50 mg*
Valerian (Valeriana Officinalis) Root Extract (Valerian officinallis)  100 mg*
Valerenic Acid  0.8 mg*
Gamma Aminobutyric Acid (GABA)  100 mg*

Now, I am really surprised at how much more calm he is with this supplement!

As for the diets, sort of... not really.

All of it helps -- tremendously. I wouldn't give any of it up. I wouldn't give up any of his therapies, medications, or supplements. Its been a long road getting to where we are and relatively to where we were, we're in a much better place, thank God...

I can see how many kids would not benefit from medication; my kid is just one who does.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting shajdinyak: Did u even give a shot at doing it naturally removing dyes, gluten, dairy? Adding some supplements like dhas/ omega 3s, etc? So many people dont believe, are not aware or willing to try and so quick to medicate with these hard core meds.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

I give him omega 3's. Coromega orange packets and they have been awesome! I really attribute his fast development (relative to how he was) in no small part due to the omega 3s. I also give him an iron gummy (beet juice dyed).

Actually, lately, I've been having bout of anger and now I know its because I stopped using Schiff ultra melatonin which has:

Melatonin  3 mg*
Glycine  40 mg*
L Threonine  50 mg*
Valerenic Acid  0.8 mg*

All of it helps -- tremendously. I wouldn't give any of it up. I wouldn't give up any of his therapies, medications, or supplements. Its been a long road getting to where we are and relatively to where we were, we're in a much better place, thank God...

I can see how many kids would not benefit from medication; my kid is just one who does.

wait... thats the wrong one. That one is too strong.

I think its this one:

Schiff Melatonin Ultra. 300 Tablets. 3mg Melatonin + 25mg L-Theanine + 25mg GABA + Chamomile & Valerian Extracts

shajdinyak
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I hear you on the long road! We have been so lucky with the results with have had all naturally. I agree Omega 3s amazing. We can not tackle the sleep factor tho! Melatonin did not work, nor have any homeopathics or supplements.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Melatonin  3 mg*
Glycine  40 mg*
L Threonine  50 mg*
Valerenic Acid  0.8 mg*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)