Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

minecraft and other gaming....

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM
  • 6 Replies

OK, my 10 year old constantly wants to game, primarily minecraft. His father does it with him so on the weekends it is the main focus. I know it is a way for him to unwind but I don't like the way it leaves him so disconnected with the world and how crabby he is when I demand he stop (for dinner, bedtime, bath or just to BE with me.) Wondering how much gaming you allow your sons and if you worry about it's effects on your child. I am worried but don't want to over react...

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I haven't reached that stage yet but I will say, I volunteer at church on Sundays with the third graders and almost ALL the boys there are talking obsessively about minecraft. Don't know if that helps or what micecraft is, but apparently its very very popular LOL

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM

My 12 yr old aspie daughter was really into Minecraft from age 9 to 12.  The utube videos on Minecraft were worse than the game with lots of bad words.  We limited time playing the game and she was not allowed to watch utube videos with bad language.  In addition, my daughter did only single player mode and no multi-player mode.  She has a 9 yr old cousin (also has learning disability and not certain what else) who is absolutely addicted to Minecraft.  Recently my daughter is not interested in Minecraft at all but she had a bad experience with a 'friend' who was doing mult-player mode and posing as a teen with mental issues.  It really bothered my daughter and she has not played Minecraft since.  I have to say I don't miss it.  So now she is totally enthralled with Pokemon X on her 3DS.  Oh yes, we got a new X-box one for Christmas so now both Daddy and her are glued to Zoo Tycoon.  We try to limit video game time but my husband is a computer nerd tech type and he loves the techie toys.   Sometimes I think I am surrounded. 

mizkriz73
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Yeah mine has a few like that he plays also. It is hard to get him to go out and be with other kids.
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I wouldn't say this is an ASD thing.  My NT almost 11 year old is the same way.  Kids would much rather game (together or alone) than about anything else; toys, playing outside, etc.  I understand your concerns though.  I don't like it either, and I don't like the huff when he needs to be moving on to something else.  It is like everything is focused around that game!  We do set limits, and he has to have his chores/homework/practice all done before he can play at all.   

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Id wonder if you could talk to him about your concerns about the amount of time that he is spending playing video games or other games. Can you tell him you know he relaxes on the computer, you relax sometimes on the computer too (CM, lol). Can you ask him how many hours a day he thinks is a fair amount of time? Id see if I was ok with the amount of time, and try to negotiate an amount of time I was ok with and he was ok with, with the "right" to come back and discuss again if your concerns arent addressed.... see if he could stick to his suggested time that he'd like with the understanding that its important to you that you guys eat dinner together (i hate to eat alone!) and other times that other things need his attention. Explain that you get this is something he loves to do, but as much as you love (enter guilty pleasure here) there are chores and other thing that require your attention during the day... Lol.. And too much of even the things we love, isnt good for us... Lol

Im thinking if he sees your concerns, you see his concerns the two of you can work together to come up with a reasonable schedule to follow. 

Im also big on reminding Sam that when he "breaks" from his prefered activity... He can most likely go back to it after dinner, after bath, it WILL still be there.., lol... Sometimes our kids cant problem solve their way to realizing this break isnt forever... Im also pretty fair, IF sam is in the middle of something when dinner is ready, I ask him how long it will take to finish his game, and if its less then 3 minutes, i let him know I can be flexible.. I dont expect an IMMEDIATE switch of gears, since I hate to be interrupted (as I have been 2 times since I started typing this... Lol) too. LOL

princess_1983
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM

My 6 year old loves Minecraft toys and has a lot of the toys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)