Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

daycare!!!! is a nightmare

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hi my name is valerie I am a completely single mom of a 3yr little boy who is autistic. He has been to two day cares and has been miss treating badly. I have called tons of day cares Montessori schools and home day cares and I can't seem to find one that actually knows what autism is and how to care for them I go to school full time and am in need a great place for this little guy. I also have cyfd right now till I finish school please any information would help so much thank you
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karene999
by Karen on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this

You need to contact a local autism group, there should be some sort of early intervention program or special education program that your son can start in.

johnns
by Johnna on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd try the school system- might be able to get into special ed preschool.
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Ugh. I'm taking a break from school until Xavier is in preschool. The daycare workers were nice to him but completely clueless. Everyday they would mention it was difficult. He requires an aid at all times. He had to be rocked to sleep. The other kids wanted to play and were sad Xavier wouldn't.
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:31 AM
At 3, he should be eligible for preschool through public education. My son started on his 3rd birthday. This is in the US anyway.
emarin77
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM

If your son is diagnosed with Autism have him brought to a public preschool.  Some elementary schools will take 2 year olds with Autism.  The school might want to diagnose him themselves with their own school psychologist.  My son went to public preschool too for 2 years.  I do know Jewish Family Services have day care  for children with disabilities too.  My son was cared by them in the summer.

looloomama
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM
How do I go about putting him in a public school?. All the day cares are clueless it scares me to leave him. He also requires a lot of attention and doesn't like ton play with other kids not his age anyway
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:15 PM

as many of the other moms have suggested your local school district at the age of 3 has a preschool program for kids on the spectrum and other disabilities. These are trained special education teachers who SHOULD know how to handle your son. It will get him use to the routine of school and help give him the occuptational, physical, speech support he needs. They will HELP him with socialization and education.
Contact your Central School Distrcit Administration office and ask to speach with their Special Education Department.
My son DIDNT qualify, BUT, MANY of our friends did... they got a lot of support for their kids year round.. not just school year. Since it is thru your district it should be free.

My other idea is that you could look on a nanny/babysitting website for college students or graduates in special education as a sitter. Ive had a few sitters for my son, 2 of which had siblings on the spectrum, so no surprise when they were havinging out with my son. Another one of my sitters had ADHD as a kid.. and was very caring and compassionate toward my son and his struggles. She is in her 3rd year of college.

You could also look for mothers who's kids were on the spectrum/ are in school are looking for extra money as sitters. :)

I HOPE something works out for you.

Quoting looloomama: How do I go about putting him in a public school?. All the day cares are clueless it scares me to leave him. He also requires a lot of attention and doesn't like ton play with other kids not his age anyway

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:00 PM
She always has the best advice! Yes to all of this!

Quoting SamMom912:

as many of the other moms have suggested your local school district at the age of 3 has a preschool program for kids on the spectrum and other disabilities. These are trained special education teachers who SHOULD know how to handle your son. It will get him use to the routine of school and help give him the occuptational, physical, speech support he needs. They will HELP him with socialization and education.
Contact your Central School Distrcit Administration office and ask to speach with their Special Education Department.
My son DIDNT qualify, BUT, MANY of our friends did... they got a lot of support for their kids year round.. not just school year. Since it is thru your district it should be free.

My other idea is that you could look on a nanny/babysitting website for college students or graduates in special education as a sitter. Ive had a few sitters for my son, 2 of which had siblings on the spectrum, so no surprise when they were havinging out with my son. Another one of my sitters had ADHD as a kid.. and was very caring and compassionate toward my son and his struggles. She is in her 3rd year of college.

You could also look for mothers who's kids were on the spectrum/ are in school are looking for extra money as sitters. :)

I HOPE something works out for you.

Quoting looloomama: How do I go about putting him in a public school?. All the day cares are clueless it scares me to leave him. He also requires a lot of attention and doesn't like ton play with other kids not his age anyway

lucasmadre
by Kari on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I am a single mom too and I know how scary it was when my son was young. I was so afraid to leave him with anyone. It will get better. Their is local help out there. Call the head of special ed at your local elementary school. They are a great resource. Try not to panic, I have learned that whether I worry myself sick or believe that things are going to be ok the end result is the same. You will get though this tough time, don't be afraid to ask for help...keep posting. You can get a whole lot of support here. Happy New Year.  XO

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Welcome to the group Valerie. *hugs*

I would contact local autism group and ask them. 

They should be able to help you with resources.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)