Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Why does he have Aspergers?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 5:32 AM
  • 24 Replies
I sure you have wondered too. I was thinking the other day. 9 years ago I was really really sick, pneumonia type sick. I have always turned to NyQuil for comfort, it works like a charm. I sleep off all my germs. So I Nyquiled it up for about a week...... I didn't know I was pregnant yet. It was without the first 2-3 weeks.
I'm so sad thinking maybe this is what did it to my boy.
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 5:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karene999
by Karen on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:26 AM

This is not something you caused. It is Genetic, there was nothing you could have done. Anymore than you could change his eye color.

We all have thoughts like this, try not to let those thoughts bring you down ( I know easier said than done).

jowen905
by Jan on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I completely agree with Karen.......and you know, my mom and all of her neighbor cohorts in the "old days" drank alcohol while they were pregnant and some smoked.  The neighbor kids and myself grew up without AD.  You did not cause your child to have Aspergers, I believe it's genetic with possible environmental contributors..........hugs to you, momma!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM

No, no, no. Not possible. It was not the nyquil. Its just the roll of the dice with genes.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Please don't blame yourself! The fact is we don't know what causes autism. I didn't know I was pregnant for the first 4 weeks & alot of women don't know at first. So we do things that we normally wouldn't do if we knew. Hugs mama stop blaming yourself!
wildchild.com
by Janine on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Yep my mom smoked cigs & drank a glass of wine here & there with all 4 of us. None of us have autism.
Quoting jowen905:

I completely agree with Karen.......and you know, my mom and all of her neighbor cohorts in the "old days" drank alcohol while they were pregnant and some smoked.  The neighbor kids and myself grew up without AD.  You did not cause your child to have Aspergers, I believe it's genetic with possible environmental contributors..........hugs to you, momma!

Dbuterfly1974
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Thanks everyone, just having a moment! Holiday break is so hard.
BDSMI
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Please know it was nothing you have done.  Your son is extremely special.  I often wonder if having my son born was the right thing.  You see when I was 12 weeks pregnant the doc told me to abort my child.  There was serious issues with my pregnancy.  They warned me he would be born early and would suffer complications.  I choose to continue the pregnancy.  I delivered him full term but they gave me quite a few medications to get me through the pregancy.  I accepted long ago that I would NEVER change what I did to bring him into the world.  Today he is 14 and continues to amaze those around him  He has taught me so much and I could not imagine life without him.  HUGS!!!  As the other ladies have said it was nothing you did.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I took fertility drugs and prenatals for 6 months before DS... I had to stop the fertility drugs in Novemeber due to a sickness.. I still took prenatals.... DH and I conceived 1/15/06.... I knew at day 5... I never drank, I never smoked, I never ate sushi, I never ate nitrates... N-E-V-E-R.. I drank 8oz MAX of coffee occassionally...
really... I could NOT have been anything I had DONE. LOL.. nad it couldnt have been ANYTHING you'd DONE.
Dont drive yourself crazy that way... think of all the pot smoking, wine gluping (beer guzzling) idiots out there with perfectly fine kids... LOL!!!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Don't do that to yourself! It's genetic, it's environmental... But never through any fault of your own.

My 12 year old is autistic and I've NEVER taken Nyquill!
lucasmadre
by Kari on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I ate like a saint, never was sick...not one day, took my vitamins, it isn't something you did. It isn't something any of us did. Stop blaming yourself...it isn't your fault. You have to know that in your heart. They are slowly putting the pieces together, genetics, environment...they will figure it out but it isn't something you did.  XO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)